preps
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my Hy-Gain SPT 500 penetrator set up for 11 meter

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of members here belong to several forums for collective Ideas & Thoughts. Like they say 2 Heads are better than 1

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No I did not join that site. I will look into that.
    I did see a post on here that said the base replacement was $50. I sure don't want to put that much into this antenna. Makes me think I should have went with something else. But this is what I have, so I guess I will have to keep moving forward. It is an old one, has the three section radials and I believe two bolts on the radial clamp. One of the top hat radials broke off at some point in time. And of course the two plastic spacers are gone and figured I would just go ahead and replace the plastic in the radial clamps. But its that base that I am concerned with. I asked about just replacing the plastic bottom that holds coax connector and they said something about a wire inside.
    Guess I will have the satisfaction or frustration of rebuilding the old thing.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by deriter View Post
    No I did not join that site. I will look into that.
    I did see a post on here that said the base replacement was $50. I sure don't want to put that much into this antenna. Makes me think I should have went with something else. But this is what I have, so I guess I will have to keep moving forward. It is an old one, has the three section radials and I believe two bolts on the radial clamp. One of the top hat radials broke off at some point in time. And of course the two plastic spacers are gone and figured I would just go ahead and replace the plastic in the radial clamps. But its that base that I am concerned with. I asked about just replacing the plastic bottom that holds coax connector and they said something about a wire inside.
    Guess I will have the satisfaction or frustration of rebuilding the old thing.

Just keep in mind that you can spend a lot of time and money refurbishing a old antenna with all the little hidden cost of parts and supplies. Cleaning all the old corrosion on aluminum is a must for it to work proper. But some guys like the satisfaction of a do-it yourself project and don't count their time. Here is where you can buy a new one for comparison. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/hgn-spt-500 There might be better or cheaper antennas if you look around, just remember if you ask some every antenna they have is the best going. Have fun and Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't imagine that turning a piece of plastic upside-down would make any significant difference. Who was it that told you that (like I have to ask - lol)
    I'll try Flexseal. I'm going to spray it all over the base once I get it tuned - and maybe that will seal out any water ingress causing high swr.

Also, the old original penetrators had the top hat rods bent down at a 45° angle so they didn't act like a capacity hat and make the antenna electrically too long. I've owned 3 brand new from the mid - late '70s and they all came out of the box with the radials already bent down at a 45° angle.

I don't believe they're necessary, there have been far too many great working antennas on the market over the years with nothing on top for me to think that the top hat is anything more than just for looks.

I'm going to put mine back up with a straight top about 8"- 9" longer and without the top hat. I'll probably have to cut off the top 1" threaded piece and add a foot long or so piece of tubing into the top to get the extra 8"- 9".

I seem to recall that I did that years ago with someone else's Penetrator and it worked perfect and measured 22' 3" from the 8' 8" radials to the tip for 27.300

BigMoe, it sounds like you were within 3"- 4" of needed shortening in order to get a flat swr, why give up?
    Last edited by Cedar Mountain Radio; 09-24-2022 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mountain Radio View Post
    I can't imagine that turning a piece of plastic upside-down would make any significant difference. Who was it that told you that (like I have to ask - lol)
    I'll try Flexseal. I'm going to spray it all over the base once I get it tuned - and maybe that will seal out any water ingress causing high swr.

Also, the old original penetrators had the top hat rods bent down at a 45° angle so they didn't act like a capacity hat and make the antenna electrically too long. I've owned 3 brand new from the mid - late '70s and they all came out of the box with the radials already bent down at a 45° angle.

I don't believe they're necessary, there have been far too many great working antennas on the market over the years with nothing on top for me to think that the top hat is anything more than just for looks.

I'm going to put mine back up with a straight top about 8"- 9" longer and without the top hat. I'll probably have to cut off the top 1" threaded piece and add a foot long or so piece of tubing into the top to get the extra 8"- 9".

I seem to recall that I did that years ago with someone else's Penetrator and it worked perfect and measured 22' 3" from the 8' 8" radials to the tip for 27.300

BigMoe, it sounds like you were within 3"- 4" of needed shortening in order to get a flat swr, why give up?
    If you look at the top plastic insulator on the new one the bottom of the insulator is actually longer so if it was switched over it would be longer on the top and would shed water better instead of puddling water at the matching device. I'm actually working on a extension to the present insulator made from a PVC fitting which should do the same thing without taking the whole matching device apart and should be a simple fix. I'm getting ready to put the antenna back up and test it. If it works I'll post the pictures. To each their own but I won't do any modifications that can't be easily undone because I have too much invested to scrap a antenna. LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Final testing of insulator mod. Tested in pouring down rain and no more SWR problem. Making is what the insulator is made from. Insulator is on the R/H and made from is on the L/H. Finish is the insulator sealed in place with out taking the whole matching device apart.
    Name:  Finish.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  841.3 KBName:  Making.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  612.5 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Weirdharold (08-02-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the length measurement from top or bottom of coil

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    Final testing of insulator mod. Tested in pouring down rain and no more SWR problem. Making is what the insulator is made from. Insulator is on the R/H and made from is on the L/H. Finish is the insulator sealed in place with out taking the whole matching device apart.
    Name:  Finish.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  841.3 KBName:  Making.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  612.5 KB
    I like what I see! How's the performance? Dial that in and offer it as an upgrade/mod for the new SPT-500 and you might have a decent supplemental income to help fight ßidenflation.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moe View Post
    I'm done with this old antenna and trying to tune it. Thanks to those who had some tips and tricks on these but I'm done messing with it. Time to buy a new antenna that I know works and new coax so everything is fresh. I'v had an Antron 99 before and it worked great plus tuned super simple.
    It's coming up on 2 years and I'm curious - what did you end up doing for an antenna?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mountain Radio View Post
    It's coming up on 2 years and I'm curious - what did you end up doing for an antenna?
    The antenna worked as it should ( Really Well ) after the Mod with no more SWR Problems but as suggested from 3 Radio operators I settled for my Star Duster in this deep narrow valley because of the way it radiates the signal out of the valley. The Super Penetrator is torn down and stored in my garage in case I move out of this valley someday. I posted the picks just to help other operators with a cheap easy solution to the SWR problem and just to Give Back because of all that have helped me along the way. In another forum another operator made his own top insulator to solve his problem with SWR. I just looked in my garage at what I had on hand and came up with a Quick and simple solution. In these forums it's all about helping each other and meeting some Great Minds ! Necessity is the mother of Inventions.

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage2

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage4