preps
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got my Hy-Gain SPT 500 penetrator set up for 11 meter

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finally got my Hy-Gain SPT 500 penetrator set up for 11 meter

Well after months of waiting and reading up on this New SPT 500 antenna I finally finished it up today with results I can live with. I hope this helps someone else who wants to set it up for 11 meter. I first started out with setting it at 22' 6" and had acceptable SWR but wanted to get a better reading so I raised and lowered it multiple times until it was at 22' 8" with a 1-1.5 SWR on channel 1 and a 1-.5 on channel 40. Even though my raising and lowering was easy because of my custom built pivot mount I built and using a winch on my tractor I started to tire of playing around so the last time I changed it to 22' 9" and got a reading of 1-1.1 on channel 1 and a reading of 1-1.1 on channel 40, and a flat line reading on channels 17 19 and 20 the channels I use most. Good enough for me. Now I can't wait for the DX to start rolling in. Hope this helps somebody because their is too much mixed info on this antenna.

Cheers

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (08-29-2019), RCIJB (05-27-2020), Turboomni (01-06-2021), Weirdharold (09-25-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well part of the problems lie in the installation. How high, what is near it, metal roofs can affect swr, soil conductivity. A myriad host of issues that prevent most antennas installs from being a simple put it up and talk.
    So in effect each antenna installation can be as individual as each of us.

nosaj

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nosaj For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (08-29-2019), Cosmos (05-27-2020), Turboomni (06-10-2021), whiteastro (08-25-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    Well part of the problems lie in the installation. How high, what is near it, metal roofs can affect swr, soil conductivity. A myriad host of issues that prevent most antennas installs from being a simple put it up and talk.
    So in effect each antenna installation can be as individual as each of us.

nosaj
    What your saying is so true that is why I found so many differences of opinion and why I jumped a full 1" on my last adjustment because I read somewhere that 22' 9.5" was the magic number. I was at 22" 8" and I figured 22" 9" would still leave me room to play. I have to laugh because it is a tough game for a OLD FART like me to play! LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea if it's on the internet it must be true! :0
    I've only been in this a year but come from an audio background in tube amps and the antenna to me is like the speaker load if not right it'll burn up your amp.
    It's a shame more people don't try to understand some of what they use.
    nosaj

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nosaj For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (08-25-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    Yea if it's on the internet it must be true! :0
    I've only been in this a year but come from an audio background in tube amps and the antenna to me is like the speaker load if not right it'll burn up your amp.
    It's a shame more people don't try to understand some of what they use.
    nosaj
    I've been a poor boy a long time, can't afford to burn up my radios. Too many places to spend money so I pay attention to detail. LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same here, got more skills than money through being poor, I've also gotten to play with whatever toys I want by buying broken. Did that the entire time kids were growing up. They wanted a game system buy a broken one cheap and fix it. They rarely ever got anything brand new but I did what I could and they now do the same.
    It's amazing what people get rid of....an we just scoop up.

nosaj

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nosaj For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (08-26-2019), Cosmos (05-27-2020), whiteastro (08-25-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's me an old scooper. LOL I'm scooping up all the good knowledge these good people will share with me. LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you have to do any thing to your radials such as shorten them ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Danr View Post
    Did you have to do any thing to your radials such as shorten them ?
    No I didn't shorten them, I set them per the instructions and things worked out fine. Setting the height for 11 meter is the important thing and every bodies install can be a little different. But for starters I believe you could start at 22' 9.5" and adjust from there. I've been playing with mine for a year and mine is set at 22' 9" and I think I could shorten it by maybe a 1/4- 1/2" but the SWR is good so it probably won't get done.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is really interesting...I just posted a pic of my antenna looking to identify it and looking for instructions and wouldn't you know it...I have a Hy-Gain SPT 500 Penetrator lol. Well....looks like my questions were answered. Now to get it tuned when the weather cools of a bit more here in Az.

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage2

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage4