preps

Thread: Hello from the west coast!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello from the west coast!

Hello everyone, my name is Ryan. I'm not exactly new to the CB world, but I am new to the CB mod side that I want to get into. I have a 29 NW in my truck that is just lacking. FIgured I would buy a 29 LX and see if I can't bump up the power to put in my truck. I work out of rock quarries a lot, and quite often can't communicate with them from across the pit. I can hear them just fine, but just don't have enough power to get to them clearly.

Is there a thread that has how-tos on bumping up the power and range for the 29 LX radios? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

- Ryan

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What type of antenna are you using. Antenna height and placement are key to being able to transmit and receive worth a hoot. While adding power will help, a good antenna setup will work wonders. You’d be surprised what a difference a good antenna setup will make. Just some food for thought.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    What type of antenna are you using. Antenna height and placement are key to being able to transmit and receive worth a hoot. While adding power will help, a good antenna setup will work wonders. You’d be surprised what a difference a good antenna setup will make. Just some food for thought.

I did upgrade the antennas (last weekend) to Firestik FS-4BK 4 footers, and did an SWR tune on them, and I can hear much better, but I still can't get out worth a damn. I tried my Uniden PC68 in the truck, which was professionally tuned by a CB guy that is no longer with us, and I was getting out a long ways, so I'm pretty sure it's just the factory 29 that's in the truck right now that's just too weak. I figured if I was going to bump up a radio I would get a new one. I don't want to use my Uniden in this truck. Don't want it stolen.

But you're right, with the new antennas, it did improve drastically on receiving, but nothing on transmitting.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just curious you said Firestick 4 footers? meaning 2? Correct? Please explain placement on vehical.

Cause 2 anttennas on front of truck in a co-linear fashion will direct your signal forwards and backwards which is great for interstate travel, not so much when you want omnidirectional.

How much wattage did the uniden put out? Stock the 29 will be roughly almost 4 watts maybe a little less.
    Good luck with it
    nosaj
    N1EBC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nosaj For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (09-29-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The truck is a Kenworth T880 dump truck. The mounts are on the mirror brackets. The PC68 has had some work done to it. Not sure of the wattage on that radio, but it's definitely not stock.

I know that the 29 is a 4 watt radio, that's why I joined the forum in hopes of learning how to bump it up.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess the main point being is that your colinear setup is directional . Go to one antenna an you become omnidirectional.

In co-linear if the people your trying to talk to are to your left or right they will not hear you unless you are really close. Front to back you can get some range.
    Grab a power meter and find out what the pc 68 is putting out.
    Some people put 2sc1969's in them. Might be easier just to get an amp behind the radio.

nosaj
    N1EBC

Visitors found this page by searching for

None