preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy setting up a CB/ antenna question

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

New guy setting up a CB/ antenna question

Hey guys -

I'm new to the CB world and have a question.
    I have a Uniden CB mounted in my truck with dual Firestick KW antennas on the bed of my F150. When I check the cb with the SWR meter it shows all maxed out readings every time I key the mic. I did some research and I'm thinking the issue may be with my antennas. I did not mount them using the mounting brackets that they came with. I just drilled a hole threw the bed of the truck (behind the back window) and tightened them there. See attached pic.

Should I have used the mounts? Could this be an issue with not grounding the antennas properly?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Logan
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Appears you have them mounted to the plastic railing that is your Bed-liner. You need to get them mounted directly to metal and not the plastic. Keep the setup as it is, but you need to get them onto some metal as that is how they see ground. Even if you use the mounting brackets, you’ll still need to get them to a proper ground. That is most likely the issue from what I can see in the pics anyhow.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I see it looks like the antennas don't really stick above the cab very much and that could mess with your SWR also. I think I would try to get the base of the antennas at least even with the top of the cab, but I'm sure the more experienced junkies will chime in. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another thing to consider is if the antennas are co-phased, Your cb will be directional just like a semi-truck. Your pattern will be forwards and backwards. Go to one antenna and you will be omnidirectional. The co-phased is good for interstate traffic, not so much in the back woods.

nosaj
    N1EBC

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Everything is wrong with your antenna set-up!

I'm not going to sugar coat things but....

antenna's too short to get any range.

antenna's too close together to tune properly...not enough space between antennas to co-phase.

when setting up dual antenna's like you have, you need to be using a 75ohm co-phase wiring harness (if your not already)

most likely you have the antenna's grounded out to the bed of the truck by not using a antenna mount.

antennas too close to cab to tune properly.

If you want a antenna system that will tune properly, and be able to reach out and talk 10-20 miles plus, then you will need a antenna that is at least 6.5 to 7' tall minium, and it needs to be roof mounted...If you don't want to do that, or can't for whatever reason, then don't expect much out of your radio...
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 10-18-2019 at 07:02 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (10-19-2019), BOOTY MONSTER (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ".... Everything is wrong with your antenna set-up!

I'm not going to sugar coat things but.... ...."

JJD you're a horrible person ! you should be more like me and always go to extremes to avoid offending someone or hurting their feelings !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (10-18-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    ".... Everything is wrong with your antenna set-up!

I'm not going to sugar coat things but.... ...."

JJD you're a horrible person ! you should be more like me and always go to extremes to avoid offending someone or hurting their feelings !
    Guess I been watching too many Trump Rallies! No beating around the bush.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-19-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Should have used a different ant maybe a Stryker 10,000W CB/10 Meter Magnet Mount Radio Antenna /w 63" Stainless Whip.i have friend has one perfrom better than the wilson 1000 and 5000.there are more which ii could mention but this works very well

pic
    Name:  s-l500 (1).jpg
Views: 69
Size:  18.8 KB
    telecommunication consultant

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Siri performer 5000 and pl145 mag mount served me very well on my old work truck. Talked SSB 11m around the world while driving down the highway. Listen to these gents as they know their stuff!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just installed a K40 with a magnet mount on top of my van roof and get really good SWR readings across the band and it is suppose to handle 300 watts. I got it from Walmart .com for less than $100.00 and a 1/4 turn dismounts it from the magnetic base for those low canopies and garages. But then again everyone has different demands from their antenna system. I don't think I'll ever need more than 300 watts and I didn't break the bank!

Visitors found this page by searching for

None