preps

Thread: SWR question

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

SWR question

We all have heard about how important it is to have a proper SWR reading for your radio to transmit proper and not burn it up,but here is a different question I have never heard anything about anywhere. The other day I finally took my van and New K40 antenna to my favorite antenna tuning spot ( wide open and clear ) to do my final tuning of the length. I got Channel 1 1-1.1 Channel 40 1-1.1 and Channel 20 was a flat liner. I then seem to notice that the radio seem to receive better than before. Is there anything to that helping the receive or was that just a coincidence because of the conditions that day? I never had any radio training so I am wondering!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 10-26-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wide open and clear ? What about elevation? Weather conditions can also help or hurt.

nosaj
    N1EBC

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nosaj For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-23-2019), whiteastro (10-22-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    Wide open and clear ? What about elevation? Weather conditions can also help or hurt.

nosaj
    N1EBC
    Clear Day on top of one of N/E PAs many hill tops. I live in what they call the Endless Mountain Region which is actually Rolling Hills after Hills. Elevation changes quickly.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Conditions can change in an instant. Some days will be better then others. As said, elevation, weather, obstacles, and many other factors will determine how good you receive a signal. I’ve had days where there is no noise in my radio allowing me to hear pretty well, other days the noise floor is so high I couldn’t hear locals. It is all about what the conditions are where and when you plan on talking and listening. Enjoy.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-23-2019), JesseJamesDallas (10-24-2019), whiteastro (10-23-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, and conditions also have some say-so on your receive like 222DBFL said.

The better you have your antenna tuned, the better the radio will respond...

But like pointed out, you can have everything tip-top, and tuned perfect, but if Mother Nature wants to drop the hammer on you, or maybe your in a area with lot's of electrical interferences, then you might not hear or transmit a half mile or even less...just the way it is, nothings perfect all the time...

just like DX...sometimes it's there, then other times nothing.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (10-24-2019), whiteastro (10-25-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Yes, and conditions also have some say-so on your receive like 222DBFL said.

The better you have your antenna tuned, the better the radio will respond...

But like pointed out, you can have everything tip-top, and tuned perfect, but if Mother Nature wants to drop the hammer on you, or maybe your in a area with lot's of electrical interferences, then you might not hear or transmit a half mile or even less...just the way it is, nothings perfect all the time...

just like DX...sometimes it's there, then other times nothing.

Yes i have experienced the changes in conditions also. I've had days when I turned on the Cb and it was scary because the radio was stone quite with no static, not the CB I was use to. This area has challenges that flat landers aren't use to with the tree covered hills. I live in a deep narrow valley that runs about 20 miles before it widens out on both ends. It interferes with CB, TV, and Cell signals. Or if I turn right or left out of my driveway I can be on the hilltop within 1/4-1/2 mile and can see other and multiple hilltops as far as the eye can see and often wonder just how far they are from me. Often thought it would be a real experience to have a small helicopter to explore with. What a dreamer I am. But like you have said JJD in other posts, the longer the antenna the better it works and I give some of the credit to that why I get better receive. The K40 is about as long as I dare to go because they don't always trim the trees along these country roads and the dirt roads will require a antenna removal. It can be a beautiful trip but it raises heck with the equipment!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (10-25-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    a change in a few feet can make a difference in both tx and rx . ever been in your vehicle listening to the radio and when pulling up to a light or just going slow the station gets static ? propigation is similar to the real estate business , location location location .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-28-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    a change in a few feet can make a difference in both tx and rx . ever been in your vehicle listening to the radio and when pulling up to a light or just going slow the station gets static ? propigation is similar to the real estate business , location location location .
    Yes there is always the situations that just don't make sense at all. If I turn right leaving my drive way I go thru a culvert under the railroad, and sometimes I get a receive signal as soon as I get thru the culvert. I lose the signal in the matter of a few feet and always wonder why I had one in the first place. The spot is secluded with all kinds of natural barriers but all I can figure is the signal must land there after bouncing off something. On occasions I will get a bit of broken conversation come over my computer speakers and usually it is only a couple words. You have to laugh over the head scratch-er in life. I laughed when it startled the Tech setting up my new modem when I changed phone company.
    Last edited by whiteastro; 10-30-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None