preps

Thread: Palomar 300A

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Palomar 300A

I have a chance to buy this amp from my local CB repair shop guy because he is upgrading to a 2000 watt unit and he is asking $150.00 for it. Is it worth that kind of money? It has 2 extra cooling fans mounted on top and he says it puts out 600 watts. He used it himself until he upgraded. Also wondering how many Amps it might draw. Have at it! Thanks in advance. Mike

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I paid $350 for mine and IMO it was worth every penny!

Tubes are expencive, but they last forever as long as you don't get too long winded...If you will be using a single final radio, (something that just has a 10-15w swing) then leave the amp set on HI PWR...If the radio has a 40-50w swing then set the amp on the LOW PWR....(Low turns off the driver stage tubes)

Just make sure you get the transformer that plugs into the back, and it's the right one for that box...Palomar made two different versions of the transformer and they look alike but one is 600v the other 300v...both have the same plug, but different voltages...If the guy has been using it, i'm sure it will have the right transformer tho.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (11-27-2019), whiteastro (11-19-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    I paid $350 for mine and IMO it was worth every penny!

Tubes are expencive, but they last forever as long as you don't get too long winded...If you will be using a single final radio, (something that just has a 10-15w swing) then leave the amp set on HI PWR...If the radio has a 40-50w swing then set the amp on the LOW PWR....(Low turns off the driver stage tubes)

Just make sure you get the transformer that plugs into the back, and it's the right one for that box...Palomar made two different versions of the transformer and they look alike but one is 600v the other 300v...both have the same plug, but different voltages...If the guy has been using it, i'm sure it will have the right transformer tho.

Yes the transformer comes with it and he says it is 600 watt. I've been looking around for how many amps. it would draw but haven't found that info yet. Does anyone know? I don't want to have to pull a dedicated circuit for it. I'll just settle for my 300 watt amp if I have to.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    Yes the transformer comes with it and he says it is 600 watt. I've been looking around for how many amps. it would draw but haven't found that info yet. Does anyone know? I don't want to have to pull a dedicated circuit for it. I'll just settle for my 300 watt amp if I have to.
    Not real sure, but it's not much...I have mine, the radio, the computer, a desk light, a printer, all plugged into one outlet which is on a 15 amp breaker and it hasn't tripped yet! Has to be less than 10 amps because that is the size of the fuse in the transformer....

Here's a link to the owners manual...It tells ya what tubes to use and how to tune the thing...
    http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/palomar/...00a_manual.pdf
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 11-19-2019 at 07:14 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (11-27-2019), whiteastro (11-20-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Not real sure, but it's not much...I have mine, the radio, the computer, a desk light, a printer, all plugged into one outlet which is on a 15 amp breaker and it hasn't tripped yet! Has to be less than 10 amps because that is the size of the fuse in the transformer....

Here's a link to the owners manual...It tells ya what tubes to use and how to tune the thing...
    http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/palomar/...00a_manual.pdf

Thanks JJD for the owners manual and your help. I picked the amp up last night, and now the process begins of changing the arrangement on my radio desk to accommodate the new hardware in a reasonable and handy fashion. Boy having all this fun is causing a lot of work for this OLD BUCK! LOL I have to settle down to working on my house also!

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2227-Palomar-300A