preps

Thread: Galaxy ground help. Newbie here

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Galaxy ground help. Newbie here

Hi all,

I have a Galaxy DX959 in my Peterbilt mounted to the mirror bracket with a 18' coax and wilson 2000. Swr's are 1 to 1.2 on channel 1 and 40, I can hear all the way out to OH from NJ and others say I sound crystal clear up until yesterday when I was talking with my co worker the S meter jumped all the way to red and he said I sounded garbled. Every time I key up now the meter jumps and the lights dim on the radio. The SWR alert does not light up. Does this sound like a bad ground?

Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it sounds like you need a tech :-/

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My first guess sounds like you may have pinched the coax as it enters the vehicle and created an open on the conductor wire...If you have a volt/ohm meter you can ohm out the center pin on the PL-259 and the metal 3/8 x24 connector part of the antenna, should be just a few ohms...If your meter reads just a couple ohms try to pinch or move the coax around where it enters the vehicle and see if the resistance changes...If your rig worked fine before then you need to look at what might have changed (i.e. open and closing door where coax comes through, grounding on the antenna mount). Are you running any type of Amp? If so your bias between the radio and amp could be way off and this will cause common mode current that could feed back to your radio on the shielding of the coax and fry one or both of your finals...Tell me more about your set up and lets see if we can figure something out...
    de 747 and I'm clear...

"He who controls the electromagnetic spectrum controls the world..."

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @ 747 Sorry to interrupt, I was just reading the post.... I totally dig your signature! It's 100% true.
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado 996 For This Useful Post:

Moonchild 747 (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    996 de 747, saw that saying about 20 years ago when I was going through Electronic Warfare school in the Navy...It was posted up on one of our hall monitors and for some reason it has been stuck in my head along with many other crazy things the Navy has taught me for 2 decades now...haha...Thanks for digging it brother, maybe it will too get stuck in your head...haha.
    de 747 and I'm clear...

"He who controls the electromagnetic spectrum controls the world..."

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My dad was in the Navy in the late sixties to the early seventies... Communications repair, radar and guidance systems and probably a ton of other stuff I don't know about. Thank you for your service 747...

Silverado 996 and I'm gone....
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

Visitors found this page by searching for

cb power mic review

cb power mic

best mic cobra 29

cb power mic reviews

cobra power mic reviews

best cb radio power mic

best cb power mic

www.cb.radio.power.mic.com

homemade cb power micpowered by vBulletin general lee cb radioPower microphone for Cb radiobest mic for cobra 29show cobra power micksbest cb mikecb mic feedbackbest cb mic for cobra 29best power mic for cobra 29cb radio power micastatic road devil microphone general lee radiocobra 29 best miccb radio squeals when using power micgood mic for cobra 29power cb microphonescb powe mic reviewsBest power mic for CB