Uploads
    Youtube video on Uniden wireless Mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Novrvny8Nw4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (01-25-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Man that looks like a nice radio. Thanks for the link there. I especially like the variable RF output so you can run a amp without any chance of overdriving it. As far as looks go I kinda like the whiz bang contemporary look of the 980 over the Mckinley and I like the Galaxy 959 even more. But I nixed the Galaxy over drift issues even though some say theirs don't drift. Too bad they don't make a CB that has no transmitter with just outputs to go to an amp. Kinda like a Preamp in stereo systems. That way you could mix and match what you like. I would spend 150 bucks + just for that if it is really good quality and add the amp of my choice.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually have a CB shop rather close to me that I will be going to purchase a SSB. Lou's CB in the state of MA. Anyone know of him??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (01-25-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 980 and a good mic like the 2018 extreme. if you can still buy those, or even a good power mic. I personally have better luck with electret mics over the dynamic ones like the stock mic on the 980. I used a 2018 extreme mic on my 980 without using all the other stuff that they do, but only as a power mic, I always got good audio reports on both AM and SSB. I used that 980 as a driver for my magnaforce 350 and for my TNT 600, didn’t make a lot of watts, but sure worked just fine for me making contacts. At any rate, I think you’ll enjoy the 980 for both AM and SSB. With a small amp you should have no problem making contacts. Just make sure you get the best antenna you can afford and to get it up as high as you can safely place it. You shouldn’t need to change anything on the radio if you just use it on SSB. If you plan on using it for AM, you’ll need to get the AM carrier (aka dead key), down to about a watt or 2 at most. You should send it to a reputable tech along with the amp you get, and have it tuned as so on AM, you have a 1:4 carrier on AM. And make sure it’s aligned. It should be on frequency, have it checked at minimum, and tell the tech to leave the clarifier locked on TX. This will keep you from having to worry about not being on frequency. Let the other station tune to you on SSB. Anyhow, you most likely know all this stuff. Sorry for the long post. Enjoy that radio and keep the airwaves clean and clear!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (01-25-2020), whiteastro (01-25-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info. I also was wondering if I only use SSB with an amp I could just run the 980 and amp both right out of the box correct? I think that is what you said. And if I do use AM I could just turn the amp off and it should go through the amp un amplified ? Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    Thanks for the info. I also was wondering if I only use SSB with an amp I could just run the 980 and amp both right out of the box correct? I think that is what you said. And if I do use AM I could just turn the amp off and it should go through the amp un amplified ? Sorry for the noob questions.
    You can run the radio with the amp on or off in either am or ssb just make sure if the amp is on and you are running ssb you have the ssb switch on the amp turned on. if your in AM make sure the amp ssb switch is off. If you get the KL 203P or the KL 200p you will get 100 watts AM and 200 watts SSB with the amp turned on. If the amp in off your power will just pass thru. Good luck PS. One last word of advice. If you are going to run a amp, DO NOT be Hap Hazard at setting your SWR with radio and antenna because your SWR will get worse when you put the amp inline and turn it on. My SWR is 1-1.1 or less and when I turn the amp on it drops to 1-1.5 which is still good. If you start out a 1-1.5 or higher no telling where you end up when you put the amp inline and turn it on. Be a shame to see your hard earned dollars go up in smoke. Shoot for perfection!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 01-25-2020 at 03:29 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (01-25-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Man!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (01-25-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Add 1911 guy on Facebook
    Add 1911 guy on Linkedin
    All this talk about the President McKinley made me look into it. Glad I did. That's what I'm going with. Still making up my mind about antennas, but I've got a McKinley ordered from Bell's. Still kicking around whether I want to put the KL203p with it.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great radio I hear. Is Bells going to go through it and if so what you having done??

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 guy View Post
    All this talk about the President McKinley made me look into it. Glad I did. That's what I'm going with. Still making up my mind about antennas, but I've got a McKinley ordered from Bell's. Still kicking around whether I want to put the KL203p with it.
    The KL203 will work just fine with the McKinley...But if you want more bang-for the buck, a amp with a driver stage really makes the Mckinley come to life!

I run a 1x2 amp with mine and see little over 400w's peak out...Best thing about something like a 1x2 is they don't need all that much power to run, compared to a 4-pill....

Lot's of amp builders out there making 1x2's, one I have is a "Hopper Built"...You can check into them on fb on their page at https://www.facebook.com/HopperBuilt/

They will cost ya more than what those RM Italy boxs run, but they are well made and can take some abuse.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None