preps
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Deciding between two radios

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    What is the best coax cable for a base station? I need about 40 feet but closest I can find is 50 feet. Does that matter?
    I'll second what JJD told you. I'm running RG 213 also. If you think you need 40' I wouldn't buy any less than 50' because you need room for error or changing your mind and unless you do it a lot nobody puts connectors on better than the factory.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (02-15-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Add 1911 guy on Facebook
    Add 1911 guy on Linkedin
    Update: I got the radio, a President McKinley, paid for a peak and tune. Installed it in my car with a mag mount Wilson. Not much monkeying around and got 1:1 SWR at CH1 and CH40. SWR meter on the radio is easy to use after you've read the instructions.

On AM, I'm picking up base stations as far away as Cleveland, 40 miles from me. I haven't attempted SSB contacts yet. I did a radio check and got a solid response from another mobile nine miles out. He said the radio sounded very good. I lost him but he could still hear me for a bit.

My only problem is ignition or alternator noise. It is a constant whine and increases with engine RPM. It remains present after removing the antenna cable. I'm wired directly to the battery posts. Can someone recommend a good filter, please? I've seen mixed reviews and don't want to get junk.

I like the radio. My only complaint is that many functions are buried in menus, but that can be learned with repetition.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1911 guy For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (02-29-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 guy View Post
    Update: I got the radio, a President McKinley, paid for a peak and tune. Installed it in my car with a mag mount Wilson. Not much monkeying around and got 1:1 SWR at CH1 and CH40. SWR meter on the radio is easy to use after you've read the instructions.

On AM, I'm picking up base stations as far away as Cleveland, 40 miles from me. I haven't attempted SSB contacts yet. I did a radio check and got a solid response from another mobile nine miles out. He said the radio sounded very good. I lost him but he could still hear me for a bit.

My only problem is ignition or alternator noise. It is a constant whine and increases with engine RPM. It remains present after removing the antenna cable. I'm wired directly to the battery posts. Can someone recommend a good filter, please? I've seen mixed reviews and don't want to get junk.

I like the radio. My only complaint is that many functions are buried in menus, but that can be learned with repetition.
    The President McKinley has a noise blaker feature on it, that took care of most of the noise I had...You just got to turn it on, think there's like 3 different settings.

If that's still not enough and your sure the noise is coming in threw the power wires, get one of these from Navone Engineering... The N-700... I bought one of these probably 10-15 years ago and it worked perfect! Kind'a surprised they are still making them...

http://davidnavone.com/product/n-700...ressor-25-amp/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow Sticky Fingers On Twitter Add Sticky Fingers on Facebook Add Sticky Fingers on Google+ Add Sticky Fingers on Bebo
    Add Sticky Fingers on Linkedin Follow Sticky Fingers on Tumblr Follow Sticky Fingers on Flickr Visit Sticky Fingers's Youtube Channel Visit Sticky Fingers's Vimeo Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 guy View Post

Sounds like you need an inexpensive condenser fitted to your alternator.... easy to fit yourself or any garage can do it in a couple of minutes , they work wonders..... all they are is a capacitor in a tin coat that pulls that noise to ground.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None