preps
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Deciding between two radios

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I got myself a Uniden 980 second generation used at a CB shop in Eastern NY State. He had gone through it and said it was doing good. Previous owner was a friend whose wife was pissed he had so many radios lol. It is pretty clean and he ran it through it's paces on the bench for me. Nice older guy with a couple of towers at his house. He was an aircraft radio tech till he retired. Anyways got it for 70 bucks ready to go. I also got an old Micronta SWR and Power meter that he had calibrated too. Goes from 20 watts /200 and 2000 watts. I am on my way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (02-13-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    Well I got myself a Uniden 980 second generation used at a CB shop in Eastern NY State. He had gone through it and said it was doing good. Previous owner was a friend whose wife was pissed he had so many radios lol. It is pretty clean and he ran it through it's paces on the bench for me. Nice older guy with a couple of towers at his house. He was an aircraft radio tech till he retired. Anyways got it for 70 bucks ready to go. I also got an old Micronta SWR and Power meter that he had calibrated too. Goes from 20 watts /200 and 2000 watts. I am on my way.

Congratulations on your new purchase! Let us know if it is easy quieting that beep when you change the channels on that second gen. Good Luck!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 02-15-2020 at 07:45 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (02-13-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For the beep you press and hold the ANL/NB button in a few seconds and it gives you a choice of beeper on or off.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (02-13-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I tried out my new to me 980 last night in my truck. I used a cheap little mag mount . Scanned the bands and no skip at all . Not even on channel 6. Heard some guys on ch 40 lsb. Drove to the top of a small hill and listened. Finally I keyed down barefoot on my little mag mount and no response. Tried a few more times and one of the guys said "I hear someone" "Go ahead" I keyed down again and they were trying to bring me in. They said I was dead on frequency but very faint and couldn't make out what I was saying. They were very nice and gave me all the chance to get through. They then explained when they get together and their location. As it turns out their location was/is 46 miles away. So far although not completely successful the unit did ok.....I think! Recieve on this unit is very good. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!!! lol,,,
    Last edited by Turboomni; 02-14-2020 at 11:20 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (02-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did a radio check on AM ch 19 no problem.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Get yourself a good antenna and go up to the top of the hill and you will most likely be able to talk to those guys you were trying to reach. As for antennas, the sirio performer 5000 and the sirio PL145 magnet mount work very well. Only thing I didn’t like was the coax that comes on the magnet mount. It’s easy to change out to something better like RG8x, LMR240uf, or even RG400. Good to hear that the radio is on frequency. They are good radios for the money. My favorite mobile radio is the Yeticomm Optima MK3. I used that radio with a magnaforce 350hd amp, and was able to make contacts around the world!! At any rate, enjoy that radio.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (02-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the encouragement there 222DBFL!! I do appreciate it. I may get a better antenna for the truck but my first goal is to make a base station with a small 200p amp and see what happens. Depending on my area and success as a base I may just go mobile. I will definitely keep in mind your suggestions if it comes to that. Thanks again!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (02-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the encouragement there 222DBFL!! I do appreciate it. I may get a better antenna for the truck but my first goal is to make a base station with a small 200p amp and see what happens. Depending on my area and success as a base I may just go mobile. I will definitely keep in mind your suggestions if it comes to that. Thanks again!

I'm Grinning because you will probably be like the rest of us and have a radio in you vehicle and your house after it gets in your blood. Do some soul searching when deciding on antennas and make sure what ever you get you spend time on getting the SWR as perfect as possible. I bought a cheap $15.00 Walmart mag mount one time to use with my hand held CB to use in emergencies between vehicles and talked 10 miles barefoot on AM with my 980 before. But like JJD says the longer and higher the better. Good to see you Havin Fun!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (02-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the best coax cable for a base station? I need about 40 feet but closest I can find is 50 feet. Does that matter?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the best coax cable for a base station? I need about 40 feet but closest I can find is 50 feet. Does that matter?
    RG 213 is what I'm using now...LMR 400 is about as good as it gets, but little more pricey too.

Get more than you think you will need also, because by the time you start winding it around corners, running it inside the house, you'll be surprised at how much you actually need.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (02-14-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None