Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ground plane kits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ground plane kits

Would a ground plane kit be helpful for a shake spear big stick antenna?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't have your answer but found this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueg_n57J_XU

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Shakespeare Big stick was the first antenna I bought for my first base station back in 1974 with 50' of RG8U wire. I had it mounted on 21' of 1" galvanized water pipe which I shimmied it up thru the limbs of a big old tree to clear the top of the tree and poly guy roped it in the tree. This was on top of a big hill. Running my first Royce mobile radio as a base one night I talked barefoot to a station 25 miles away. I had no ground plane kit and it performed well for what it was in the hands of a poorboy. It would be interesting to see and hear it's performance with a Ground Plane Kit and a good amp. Keep us posted!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Whiteastro do you know where I can get an assembly manual for the shake spear big stick? My big stick is made up of 3 sections. 2 are 6 feet in length and the whip is 4 feet long. I am not sure how the base and middle section fit together. A manual or some instruction would be very helpful.The whip screws onto the top easily but I am having trouble with getting the center section onto the base. The is a thresded stud in the top of the base but the bottom of the center section is hollow with nothing to screw the stud into. Is something missing or should it be this way?
    Thanks silver bullet

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
    Whiteastro do you know where I can get an assembly manual for the shake spear big stick? My big stick is made up of 3 sections. 2 are 6 feet in length and the whip is 4 feet long. I am not sure how the base and middle section fit together. A manual or some instruction would be very helpful.The whip screws onto the top easily but I am having trouble with getting the center section onto the base. The is a thresded stud in the top of the base but the bottom of the center section is hollow with nothing to screw the stud into. Is something missing or should it be this way?
    Thanks silver bullet
    I'll look a round for a owners manual on the internet and give you a link, but it does sound like something is missing. Is it a used antenna?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I went to Shakespeare's web page and they don't list a 3 piece big stick antenna. You might have someones ( Idea ) copy of a big stick. Shake the center section and see if something slides down the tube. 1974 was a long time ago so I don't remember much about the antenna all I know is it was a Shakespeare big stick. Maybe one of these younger guys are more familiar with later copies of this antenna! Good luck!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It has a decal on it that says Shake Spear and they did make a 1600 model but I am not sure that 1600 refers to the length? Nor does it say 1600 on my antenna either. Just guessing. My friend bought it new and gave it to me when he moved away about 25 years ago. I have stored it since that time. Thanks for trying. Much appreciated.
    If anyone else out here knows about Shake Spear big stick antennas please let me know.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Shakespeare in only 1 word not 2 words. Check your antenna it might be someones way of getting out of copy-rite infringement. I don't know it all myself, I'm just returning to CBs myself and I'm sure there is a lot that has went on that I don't know about! Good luck!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks again. What should I check my antenna for? I remember when my friend bought it new so I am certain it is a Shakespear big stick.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Visitors found this page by searching for

None