preps

Thread: Whats with the antenna lenght?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whats with the antenna lenght?

I'm returning back to radio after 25+ years out of it..and have been looking into whats available in base antennas..and everything that I come across is between 18-22 foot long/tall. I do not remember any antennas being that tall..except for the fiberglass big stick junk! So..What gives with antennas these days? I'm too old for building one..have to buy from whats out there..but their seems to be nothing available/worth a filp that's under 12 feet in length! Whats up with that? All commets welcome!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Zero58. I am returning to radio after about 30 years and it looks like there are some changes for sure. There are a few choices in the area of shorter antennas to use for a base antenna but the longer ones are far superior if you want to get out a ways. I am waiting for some replies to my thread on antennas to see what some of these members think of antennas I have asked about. I have a shakespear big stick that worked very well and was given to me by an old friend. It looks like there could be a part missing between the base and mid section but no one out here knows about them to help me figure it out. No assembly manual or parts available that I can find. For now I am looking for opinions on the sirio gainmaster (fiberglass), sirio 2016 ( metal with a ground plane and the workman W58. These are all around $150.00. Cheaper ones are out there but a good antenna can make a world of difference. These too are all around 16 to 18 ft in length. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Glad to meet you, Silver Bullet

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Sirio 2016 is a nice antenna. Built with heavy duty materials. It’s not a lightweight antenna by any means. I put one up for a good friend of mine and he had no trouble making contacts both locally out to 60 miles or more depending on conditions and DX was no problem either as long as conditions were right. I will say no matter what antenna you put up, if the conditions are crap then you may as well hang it up. Even local talk can be bad if the conditions suck. I also owned a Sirio Vector 4K and that was a kick ass antenna. But it was kind of fragile and doesn’t like bad weather. There are ways to make it more rigid, but at the cost of adding weight. But at nearly 28ft long, it was one heck of a vertical antenna. I had no problems making contacts. I mostly was on SSB, and I also ran an HF radio, and Icom 746. When the conditions were good, It was a cake walk to make contacts. At any rate, just my experience with both of the aforementioned antennas. I don’t know much about the gainmaster other then it’s a fiberglass antenna that is decent.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-12-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    for your info..Silver Bullet & 222DBLF !!! Still looking for the right vertical base antenna..and I read everything about the antennas out there both 10 & 11 meter range.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zero58 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (03-09-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I second that vector 4000 .very good ant .i am using one as we speak
    Last edited by source; 03-09-2020 at 02:29 AM.
    telecommunication consultant

8. The Following User Says Thank You to source For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (03-09-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a Cheap Easy antenna that tunes well and is good in the rain. I've used one for years and don't believe all the bad mouths. It will get you on the air soon. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sirio-Sta...enna/175463062

10. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-12-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  IMG_20191029_064904.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  3.34 MBI depends on band that you are going to tuned it for.i tuned mine for 11 meter ch-1 swr 1.2 and ch 40 -1.0 up 27.995 .vertical lenght 26 ft 4 1/2 using the analyzer.
    Last edited by source; 03-09-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    telecommunication consultant

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to source For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-12-2020), JesseJamesDallas (08-22-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Davemade Ground Plane Antenna ($390) and Shockwave Ground Plane Antenna ($445) solid aluminum. Solarcon Imax 2000 24', 5/8 wave, fiberglass, 5000W ($160). <<My choice.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the sirio vector 4000 is a great antenna if , IF you are in a mild weather area ...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (08-22-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    the sirio vector 4000 is a great antenna if , IF you are in a mild weather area ...
    Across town is an op who put up a Vector 4K but first he took large cutters and snipped off the ball on top and put a yellow rubber cap over the top of the rod. He said he had to pull out the aluminum rod 4" more to tune flat but he thought it would help prevent the top from bending in the wind.
    He's one of the strongest stations around here and has terrific receive.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None