preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: RM Italy 27/586 Low pass filters

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    N/E PA
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 98 Times in 87 Posts
    Downloads
    86
    Uploads
    0

    RM Italy 27/586 Low pass filters

    Was looking at my RM Italy amp hook up diagram today and seen this filter illustrated that I didn't pay attention to before. I ordered 3 of them from Walmart because they were like $28.50 ea. Question is Has anyone used these before and do they lessen your TX power? I'm not a electronics tech so don't shoot me too bad! LOL

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

    Turboomni (02-09-2020)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    239
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Interesting as I saw a youtube video on RM Italy amps and he recommended a low pass filter to reduce TVI so your neighbors won't knock on your door. I also heard that amps over driven will cause this more than amps not over driven.
    He also said RM Italy sells them too as you found out. Be interested in what the experts say about these things.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

    whiteastro (02-10-2020)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    716
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 479 Times in 295 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    Was looking at my RM Italy amp hook up diagram today and seen this filter illustrated that I didn't pay attention to before. I ordered 3 of them from Walmart because they were like $28.50 ea. Question is Has anyone used these before and do they lessen your TX power? I'm not a electronics tech so don't shoot me too bad! LOL
    Why did you order 3??? You have 3 set-ups your planning on using them on?

    Anyway...If the radio has been P&T, then don't count on much performance out of a TVI filter...

    I've never used a TVI filter from RM Italy, I do have a couple 1500w ones, one being a MFJ, the other one I think is a Johnson, but at any rate about the only thing I could see they did was show less watts on my watt meter...Never had much luck with TVI filters on 11 Meter....HAM guys swear by them tho.


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

    whiteastro (02-10-2020)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    N/E PA
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 98 Times in 87 Posts
    Downloads
    86
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    Interesting as I saw a youtube video on RM Italy amps and he recommended a low pass filter to reduce TVI so your neighbors won't knock on your door. I also heard that amps over driven will cause this more than amps not over driven.
    He also said RM Italy sells them too as you found out. Be interested in what the experts say about these things.

    I had to laugh because I might have seen that same YouTube video that you watched and more. They shouldn't be overdriven because they are the ones that RM Italy recommended. One video said they helped reduce some of the noise in the radio which is not a bad thing. Nothing ventured Nothing gained! ( Maybe Lost ) but I have lost more down the drain thru Alcohol! LOL

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    N/E PA
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 98 Times in 87 Posts
    Downloads
    86
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Why did you order 3??? You have 3 set-ups your planning on using them on?

    Anyway...If the radio has been P&T, then don't count on much performance out of a TVI filter...

    I've never used a TVI filter from RM Italy, I do have a couple 1500w ones, one being a MFJ, the other one I think is a Johnson, but at any rate about the only thing I could see they did was show less watts on my watt meter...Never had much luck with TVI filters on 11 Meter....HAM guys swear by them tho.

    Thanks for the comeback JJD you said something I feared ( Less Watts ) and I will be watching close for that problem. I bought 3 because I have a KL200P a KL203P, and a KL300P. The KL 200P & KL203P are for my car and van. The KL300P is for my radio bench. I live in small town with a lot of neighbors and I don't want to give them more to bitch about! ( And they Do ) I might have to save my Palomar 300A for my future country home. The other day I was playing with my Palomar on AM Channel 19 and I had a trucker comment on how he thought I was going to blow the windows out of his truck. Makes you wonder about these Old cheap neighbors and their Old TVs running a digital converter box I don't need the FCC knocking on my door if you know what I mean! They ( Filters ) didn't cost that much so if I end up not using them I'll put them with my other mountain of electronic junk LOL out for the yard sale! PS If they cut some of the noise in my radios that wouldn't hurt my feelings either!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 02-10-2020 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Add to

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    239
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    What I meant was if the amps are over driven by a cb radio with too much output they will make more noise and possibly piss off the neighborhood.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

    whiteastro (02-10-2020)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    N/E PA
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 98 Times in 87 Posts
    Downloads
    86
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    What I meant was if the amps are over driven by a cb radio with too much output they will make more noise and possibly piss off the neighborhood.
    I always make sure my wattage output on my cb is turned down before I turn on my amp. I can't afford to fry any of my equipment. The 980 is automatic low drive and my 2 979s both have adjustments for turning down the dead key.

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    239
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked 64 Times in 58 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Yes I know you do this but I guess there are a lot of guys that have plugged their tweaked radios into a amp and splattered everyone in the area before their amp blew up .

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

    whiteastro (02-10-2020)

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    N/E PA
    Posts
    452
    Thanks
    196
    Thanked 98 Times in 87 Posts
    Downloads
    86
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    Yes I know you do this but I guess there are a lot of guys that have plugged their tweaked radios into a amp and splattered everyone in the area before their amp blew up .
    Yes I laugh because some people do not follow the instructions. You might say they could screw up a 1 car funeral. LOL If you check out that filter number in my first post they claim that filter # 27/586 is suppose to handle 300 watts AM and 500 watts SSB. That is more than any of my RM Italy amps will put out. PS. I don't have any radios that have been Peeked & Tweaked. I'm beginning to think that all I would have done is to check them for alignment & modulation. I don't have enough faith in my local guy because he has no real training just friends on the radio that guild him. He's learning as he goes and does alright for small stuff!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 02-10-2020 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Add To

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

    Turboomni (02-10-2020)

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    716
    Thanks
    86
    Thanked 479 Times in 295 Posts
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    Thanks for the comeback JJD you said something I feared ( Less Watts ) and I will be watching close for that problem. I bought 3 because I have a KL200P a KL203P, and a KL300P. The KL 200P & KL203P are for my car and van. The KL300P is for my radio bench. I live in small town with a lot of neighbors and I don't want to give them more to bitch about! ( And they Do ) I might have to save my Palomar 300A for my future country home. The other day I was playing with my Palomar on AM Channel 19 and I had a trucker comment on how he thought I was going to blow the windows out of his truck. Makes you wonder about these Old cheap neighbors and their Old TVs running a digital converter box I don't need the FCC knocking on my door if you know what I mean! They ( Filters ) didn't cost that much so if I end up not using them I'll put them with my other mountain of electronic junk LOL out for the yard sale! PS If they cut some of the noise in my radios that wouldn't hurt my feelings either!
    I doubt your going to have any problems with the neighbors running those amps with/ or without the filters...It's not like it was back 30-40 years ago when just a stock CB Radio could mess up a TV set...since just about everything now has gone digital, CB's and amps don't hardly mess with anything...

    -=UNLESS=->>>>You have a radio that's had several golden screwdrivers stuck in the back of it to squeeze out every last drop of watts the radio is capable of squirting out! That's where you run into problems is with radios that splatter all over the place...Run a splatter-box radio into a amp, and harmonics will be flying everywhere and getting into everything...

    That 300A you have shouldn't bother anything either...Those guys saying your about to blow their windows out, are just complimenting you on how well your radio sounds is all...

    I talk on my Cobra 2000 that's hooked to a 300A, with my TV on, and the computer all at the sametime and the radio and amp doesn't get into anything...and the TV is less than 15' away, and the computer's monitor is actually sitting on top of my Cobra 2000!

    Another thing! I have a RCI 2980wx sitting next to the Cobra, it has it's own amp, a XForce 1x4 base amp, which is sitting literally "side-by-side" next to my computer and there's no affects there either!

    bottom line...don't worry about ol' Uncle Charlie....


  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

    Turboomni (02-10-2020), whiteastro (02-10-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •