preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do Galaxy radios drift

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do Galaxy radios drift

I've been reborn into CB radios again for several years now and have heard so many times that Galaxy radios drift and can't help but wonder why is it that galaxy radios drift? What does Galaxy do to their radios that the others don't do to theirs? It seems as Galaxy would have tried to figure this problem out and correct it. Has anyone in here ever heard of a solution to this problem? Could something be replaced in the radio with something of better quality. I love my Galaxy 979DX but I was trying a new Firestik II antenna today with amazing results and was talking with a guy whose signal faded in & out and we were both stationary. It made me think of drifting but I'm not sure if he was playing on his end with different antennas & amps. I know that Firestik II antenna was giving me amazing SWR readings and it is a 5/8 wave Top loaded antenna and my radio was reporting between 6-12 watts output on AM with channel 40 reporting 12 watts and channel 28 reporting 8 watts. Made me think I was warming up my radio! LOL. Anyone have some answers!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some do, and some don't...They are "Hit n miss"...Galaxy's I have had that had ssb, I never noticed any drifting, but then again I really don't get on ssb that much in the mobile...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (03-02-2020), whiteastro (03-02-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Some do, and some don't...They are "Hit n miss"...Galaxy's I have had that had ssb, I never noticed any drifting, but then again I really don't get on ssb that much in the mobile...
    When I was talking to that guy it was on straight AM and NO ssb involved. I could understand him at all times but his volumn went up and down more than once. I really think he was playing with his Beam & his Omni- Directional Antennas plus maybe his amps. I never heard of Galaxies drifting on AM but it made me wonder and wonder why Galaxies have that reputation. Seems as someone would want to cure that especially when you don't hear it from other radios.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If he was in a mobile just driving around can do that...Turning corners, going up and down over bridges, under bridges, etc...One of my neighbors tried telling me just last week my radio was doing that...(he was on his base) So as I approached a fairly tall bridge, I told him "Now watch your meter as I will start to get louder"...then once I started down the other side, I said "Now watch, I'm going to start fading back out"....Sure enough, thats what happend...

It's called "Line of sight"...less stuff between you and the receiving team, the better the signal.
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 03-03-2020 at 05:18 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-12-2020), whiteastro (03-03-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    If he was in a mobile just driving around can do that...Turning corners, going up and down over bridges, under bridges, etc...One of my neighbors tried telling me just last week my radio was doing that...(he was on his base) So as I approached a fairly tall bridge, I told him "Now watch your meter as I will start to get louder"...then once I started down the other side, I said "Now watch, I'm going to start fading back out"....Sure enough, that's what happened...
    It's called "Line of sight"...less stuff between you and the receiving team, the better the signal.
    Yes I understand what your saying JJD but we were both stationary. He was my local guy getting into CB Mod & Repair and was working in his CB shop and I pulled off the road and parked to talk to him because I wanted to check out that new Firestik II antenna I just put on my car. The more I think of it he was probably playing with his equipment so I'll have to check out my equipment further to see if it happens again. I never seen my radio push out that many watts as it did with that Firestik antenna. I pick up that antenna in a package buy-out deal with a guy who was getting out of CB and it was Brand new in the package with a spring and a new Mag. mount. I figured I could sell the other 2 Cobra radios and paraphernalia and get the antenna for free! But seeing I am a life-long maintenance person my mind can't help but wonder " Why do Galaxy radios have a reputation for drifting " I watched a good video on a McKinley tear-down and review by Mike's radio repair and the guy had the radio donated to him by President Electronics just for that purpose and advertising probably. I can't believe some radio repair tech hasn't dug into the Galaxy reputation. That's what I get for being curious! LOL Maybe I'll never know! Thanks for the comeback!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 03-03-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Still it could be allot of things other than the radio... Since both of y'all were in mobiles, it could also be caused from voltage drop if your running power...Could also be just things you were parked around causing signal interference.

AM is not normally where you would see drifting issues, unless maybe the radio needs an alignment.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-12-2020), whiteastro (03-04-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You might have a point JJD on needing alignment. Hardly anything that is Mass produced is ever perfect, thats why they have Quality Control people employed at factories, but they can't test every piece of product that comes down the line. I was in my radio room last night playing around with my other 979 setup as a base station with my galaxy 6 digit frequency counter and this is my observation. I have noticed this ever since I've had the 6 digit counter. This happens on both AM & SSB, I will have the frequency counter set perfect on frequency and as soon as I key the mic. the last digit changes by 3 points. Made me think maybe I need alignment. I wish I was techie enough to hook that counter up to my other radios ( and it is possible ) to observe them also. If I live long enough it will happen. LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ham radios are mass produced and they rarely drift . many old school cb radios didn't drift . newer stuff is made with lesser parts and QC isn't what it used to be either .... but that's true for many things these days .

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (03-15-2020), whiteastro (03-12-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    ham radios are mass produced and they rarely drift . many old school cb radios didn't drift . newer stuff is made with lesser parts and QC isn't what it used to be either .... but that's true for many things these days .
    Thanks BM you said the words that were in my head! That is what is frustrating when you spend over $300.00 for something brand new and it still might have issues. What the heck would they charge if they sold old fashion quality? If I had longer to go I would get into HAM but I'm in too deep now for the time I have to devote. But I'm still having Fun!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-15-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm so glad I still have all my radios from 92-93, most especially my Galaxy DX88HL. As others have said, mine stays spot on frequency with zero drift on AM or FM. The only weirdness is with U/LSB. Might have to do a true 'guru alignment' and full adjustment eventually. Hope you get 'er figured out in any event! 👍
    PS to Jessie- hidy neighbor!

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2278-Why-do-Galaxy-radios-drift