preps

Thread: Coba 2000 GTL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Coba 2000 GTL

I found this radio on Craigslist and was wondering if anyone in here can tell me when this radio was made by this serial # 13001117 and it was made in Taiwan. Also were Taiwan radios any good or did they have problems. He is asking too much for it but looks like he may accept less. He shows it on channel 19 but the 6 digit counter is off by 17 digits. Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    bump bump bump

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cobra 2000 GTL's were built in Taiwan up until around 1990...Then after that they were built in the Philippines for a couple years...Then the last 2000's were built for one maybe two years in Malaysia.

Nothing wrong with the ones built in Taiwan, other than the fact these will be the oldest ones, and may require new caps and a little TLC depending on how the radio has been treated over the last 30+ years....

The ones built in the Philippines are often considered the "Cream of the Crop"...actually any radio built in the Philippines are considered to be ones to have...

Now the ones built in Malaysia from everything I've read, are ones that were prone to problems resulting from poor quality control in the manufacturing department....These are "Hit or Miss" at best...

As far as the one your talking about being on channel 19, but the freq. counter is off a few digits, that's most likely because he has the clarifier (or Voice Lock knob) adjusted a little off...not a big deal on AM, but on SSB you will need to constantly be adjusting the knob to keep people from sounding like Donald Duck.
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 04-01-2020 at 06:40 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (04-01-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the input JJD but I think I'm going to forget a trip into NY state because I have been watching their Virus map and it looks too risky for my blood. Besides that our Governor just gave us a stay at home order starting at 8:00 tonight, so I guess I'll just have to run with what I have. At least the skip has been rolling in a little so staying home might be a good thing. Thanks again!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (04-01-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2286-Coba-2000-GTL