preps

Thread: Uniden 980 Mod

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Uniden 980 Mod

This morning I turned my 980 on 38 LSB to listen for skip and I could faintly hear someone talking but could not make out what they were saying and I was in RX mode not Local mode. I then turned it off and immediately turned on my Galaxy 979 and and could understand the someone and louder and it was on the same antenna. So it proved what I expected that the 980 could use some help in the receive department. The question is has someone or does someone know of a Pot on the board that can be tweaked to enhance the receive on the 980. And yes I know it will increase noise also but it is like someone in here said ( If you can't hear them you can't talk to them! ) I mark all pots with a fine tip marker so I can undo changes if I want to. If you know the pot # and direction that would be a great help. Thanks in advance !!!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 06-18-2020 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting, In the reviews I have read on the 980 they were impressed with the receive and it was a strong point of the radio along with everything else but output power and maybe the microphone.
    I have a few AM only radios and maybe I will swap them out to see if there is any difference with my 980.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (04-04-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    Interesting, In the reviews I have read on the 980 they were impressed with the receive and it was a strong point of the radio along with everything else but output power and maybe the microphone.
    I have a few AM only radios and maybe I will swap them out to see if there is any difference with my 980.
    Not all radios are created equal and this could be specific to my radio and most of the time it is a matter of opinion or someone writes a review with nothing to compare it to. I'm speaking from my experience with my radio and I never did feel like the receive was really good but it could be a Monday morning or Friday afternoon radio that rolled down the line. I'm more interested in finding solutions to this problem then debating the merits of the 980. To be honest with you I've played with a few radios and the Cobras seem to be good on the receive end but maybe I just got Lucky! LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not saying your wrong at all. I am sure your observations are correct. I hope someone here can help you out as I would be most interested what you find out. It may well be your Cobra radios are superior in the receive dept compared to all 980"s.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The trouble is that Cobra isn't in the SSB game anymore and being a Old Stubborn fart that I am I want SSB on all my radios so I am not limited. If I could settle just for AM I would throw a Cobra in, in a heart beat. I played the AM game when I was in my 20s but always thought it would be cool to talk skip so you might say I'm working on my Bucket List. LOL Miley Cyrus likes to Twerk and I like to Tweek! LOL

7. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (04-05-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not saying your wrong at all. I am sure your observations are correct. I hope someone here can help you out as I would be most interested what you find out. It may well be your Cobra radios are superior in the receive dept compared to all 980"s.
    Here is a picture I found that might interest you on the 980 but you might have seen it before. I doesn't solve my problem. http://www.cbradio.nl/uniden/Tune-up..._Homer_ENG.pdf

9. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (04-06-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You have your local switch off I assume on your RF Gain. I am sure you do but just to eliminate all the possibilities.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You have your local switch off I assume on your RF Gain. I am sure you do but just to eliminate all the possibilities.
    My very first 2 lines of my first post! ( This morning I turned my 980 on 38 LSB to listen for skip and I could faintly hear someone talking but could not make out what they were saying and I was in RX mode not Local mode. )

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry a brain fart! It just popped into my head so I threw it out there. I did that today by mistake I think is why I mentioned it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (04-07-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's OK we all do that at times not only you. I witness that in different posts. I guess we get in a hurry to help out and look for solutions, that doesn't make us bad people. LOL

Visitors found this page by searching for

None