preps

Thread: something different?...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

something different?...

I am a traffic flagger, I've used a handheld cb off and on for years in my job. Recently I went to work for a new company that does a lot more paving and highway work. I've gotten by with the rubber duck antenna on my Midland ht until now. Now I'm looking at other options to get better range on my handheld. I use a 6' staff with a 24" wide aluminum stop sign on top for traffic control. I would like to find a way to mount either a dipole or a ngp setup on top of my stop paddle. Has anyone ever done this before?
    I'm not terribly worried about the aluminum paddle absorbing RF from one side (though I'd prefer not) does anyone have any suggestions?
    How about using a larger BNC aerial mounted to the top of my sign with a short coax extension? Or maybe even a wearable antenna that wears like suspenders or a vest?
    Fwiw, I do have a uniden bearcat mobile with a wireless mic that I can use outside of my rig but the mic battery dies after about two hours of use and I can't change channels to talk to different crews using the uniden.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I think they still sell the "antenna cap"....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great! I'll order one on them on Amazon for you.

In the mean time, how about some actually beneficial replies?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cwol97401 View Post
    Great! I'll order one on them on Amazon for you.

In the mean time, how about some actually beneficial replies?
    What you need is a GMRS radio...requires licensing but you would be able to use repeaters and get longer distances...

other than that, your on your own figuring out how to make a cb walkie-talkie get more distance, and even if you do, there's still the power issue to deal with...maybe rig up something using a solar panel and rechargeable batteries in a backpack if you have a strong back-bone...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I already have and utilize the "blister pack" radios (22ch frs/gmrs). They work great between me and my ground crew. However dump truck drivers and equipment operators use CB 99% of the time. Therein stands my dilemma, and as you're probably well aware, hand held radios of any service (cb, frs, gmrs, murs, business bands, even ham bands) are extremely restricted when they are used inside of a metal vehicle. CB is the industry standard for road construction where gmrs is the industry standard for temporary traffic control.

Maybe I was mistaken in thinking I would actually find people who knew something about antennas, this being a cb antenna forum and all. Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I already have and utilize the "blister pack" radios (22ch frs/gmrs). They work great between me and my ground crew. However dump truck drivers and equipment operators use CB 99% of the time. Therein stands my dilemma, and as you're probably well aware, hand held radios of any service (cb, frs, gmrs, murs, business bands, even ham bands) are extremely restricted when they are used inside of a metal vehicle. CB is the industry standard for road construction where gmrs is the industry standard for temporary traffic control.

Maybe I was mistaken in thinking I would actually find people who knew something about antennas, this being a cb antenna forum and all. Thanks for your input.
    There is plenty of hand held CBs that have External antenna ports on them so if your in a vehicle you can hook it to a external antenna and cigarette lighter plugs. That is the way my GE 40 channel hand held is. GE makes a emergency CB in a kit that has a mag mount antenna right in the kit, Check eBay!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 05-11-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I'm aware of the external antenna port. All of my handhelds have a BNC connection. What I am looking for here, is ideas for an antenna mounted on top of a pvc pole that holds and aluminum octagon stop sign that I hold up with my hand to stop traffic with.

I am trying to get better range for more effective communication with large trucks in construction zones. Rubber ducky antennas give me about two blocks of communication at best.

I can put longer/larger antennas directly on my HT but they make it very unwieldy with the antenna clanking up against my hard hat, not to mention the extra stresses on the antenna connection port of the radio which was never engineered for anything more than a rubber duck antenna in the first place.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I'm aware of the external antenna port. All of my handhelds have a BNC connection. What I am looking for here, is ideas for an antenna mounted on top of a pvc pole that holds and aluminum octagon stop sign that I hold up with my hand to stop traffic with.

I am trying to get better range for more effective communication with large trucks in construction zones. Rubber ducky antennas give me about two blocks of communication at best.

I can put longer/larger antennas directly on my HT but they make it very unwieldy with the antenna clanking up against my hard hat, not to mention the extra stresses on the antenna connection port of the radio which was never engineered for anything more than a rubber duck antenna in the first place.
    So basically what your wanting to do is, re-invent the CB Antenna......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-12-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rubber Duckie antennas aren't known to be very good antennas. Maybe you need to change radios or get inventive. I picked up a Radio Shack 5 watt TRC-220 walkie talkie with a bunch of CB radio junk that has a extendable center load antenna almost 4' long. ( I'd give it to you if you weren't on the other side of the country ) I once wanted to test a Mag mount antenna so I threw a small sheet of metal out on the lawn and put the antenna on it and got signal and was able to tune the antenna. ( not perfect but it worked ) Only you know what you have to work with. Can you fasten a small metal sheet on top of the pole and use a small mag antenna. Necessity is the mother of invention and sometimes we can't have the best of all worlds!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 05-13-2020 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You could make a vertical dipole out of a pair of 2' Firestiks or the like, and mount it on the top of your sign pole.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 454 For This Useful Post:

Odancoiler (07-12-2020), whiteastro (05-13-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None