preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This might be of interest and good for discussion!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow Sticky Fingers On Twitter Add Sticky Fingers on Facebook Add Sticky Fingers on Google+ Add Sticky Fingers on Bebo
    Add Sticky Fingers on Linkedin Follow Sticky Fingers on Tumblr Follow Sticky Fingers on Flickr Visit Sticky Fingers's Youtube Channel Visit Sticky Fingers's Vimeo Channel
    Hmmmm read that article and from my use of PRS (personal radio service ) here in NZ (477mhz) it's not quite as bad as he makes out. I have a friend about 5 miles from my home to his and we can talk simplex on handheld baofeng radios no problem at all.... he's in the country and i'm in town.... might be different in a city though. And CB radio 5 miles..... you have got to be kidding me. I regularly talk to a mate from my mobile to his mobile, we are 60 miles apart with a mountain range between us and we can talk just fine on SSB , AM is a total waste of time at that distance. I don't know where they come up with the stuff in these articles but I think it must be the worst case scenario there talking about. If all I could do is 5 miles on my CB radio I wouldn't bother with it. Even when I go to the city (Wellington) here in NZ I can still talk 20-30 miles on my CB .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sticky Fingers For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (06-23-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When I read that article I thought that guy wasn't well versed in radio because there is too many different factors that control range of signal!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sun spot cycles, which is at a minimum now, affect even short distances. Tricks can be played using the solar energy to propel or even back scatter a signal to areas unreachable any other way. Two good clean 100 watt PEP SSB will get a good 120 miles, mobile to mobile and 200 miles base to base on omni antennas and whips. Beam antennas can enlarge an area of borderline signals and enhance solar effects during peak cycles.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd420nova For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (06-23-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None