preps
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coax question

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say you put your heart and soul in your radio interest. ( nice ) What kind of winds do you get where you are at? I checked out that L4 Quad on the internet and they say it is rated at 100 MPH. Did they improve it or do they Over-rate it? Is that antenna made for 11 meter or can it be tuned for Ham also,and when you talked all over with it was it on 11 meter or Ham? Anyway Nice!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Antenna wind speed I think is a little over rated...The problem is the solid core wire they use...it flexis in the wind and where it's attached to the spreaders over a period of time the constant bending finally breaks...Mine was strictly a 11 Meter antenna...however they make quads for whatever band you want...most of the contacts overseas I made was on channel 38 lsb...some also on channel 28 AM to Australia...interesting side note, lots of my overseas contact, the person on the other end lots of times also had a quad...a few tho when on ssb actually said they were mobile.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes everything will fail over time. I can't even remember how long I had my first Star Duster up before it failed because they didn't drill a weep hole in it to drain it like Siro did on my second one. After it froze and split the mud insects built a nest in it. I drilled a weep hole in it now. It was the first antenna I bought to get back into cb and gave me almost flat line SWR across the board. Of coarse it would never compare to a beam but it is a great starter antenna at a price anyone can afford.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    As a fellow hobbyist it is good to see when someone who has been working on it starts to have success. While the challenge can be fun it can also lead to frustration some times with all the different options. With all the different praise of dipoles I've been thinking of getting one myself. But I also want to try a beam system like JJD has yet! I guess I'm a Sick Puppy! LOL

Well if you want to try a dipole they are cheap as beans and cheaper if you make one yourself. I saw on ebay american made dipoles ,1/2 and full wave ready to go for 30 bucks. Seems they have sold many and have been in business for awhile. I may buy a full wave just to try out since I have only one local mobile contact in my area and he is mainly just DX too. I'll try to post a link.
    Last edited by Turboomni; 05-21-2020 at 11:24 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post

Hey thanks for the thought but I had my daughter ordered one for me 2-3 days ago from ebay and it should be here any day now. Mine wasn't as cheap but they claim it has stainless hardware so time will tell all tales. Check it out!
    https://www.ebay.com/i/264647568711?...SABEgJv6_D_BwE
    Last edited by whiteastro; 05-21-2020 at 01:56 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Cedar Mountain Radio (01-05-2021), Turboomni (05-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great to hear your getting one! I look forward to hearing your thoughts. The one your getting looks real good! Keep us posted.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In the description of your dipole I found very informative and interesting ,,here is a quote.

QUOTE"

How to deploy this antenna for maximum gain:

To achieve highest gain and Best operation 1/2 wave dipole should be mounted 1/2 wavelength or 17-20 feet high. This will give the rf the best low angle radiation for long distance DX. It will work fine at lower heights but for highest gain 17-20 feet is best.
    The center of the antenna has a stainless eye-bolt at the top for it to hang from a support. Pull each leg of the dipole straight out flat and secure by tying your cord/rope to the dog-bone insulators. If securing the antenna to objects like trees that will move in the wind be sure to use a cord material with some stretch. You can also leave just a bit of slack in the system.
    As with ALL antennas, you should install them in an area as open as possible. Obstacles close to the antenna will have an affect on both the tune of the antenna and radiation pattern. You cannot mount this or any antenna up against walls and such. QUOTE"

This is what I saw also on a video that was posted here maybe on another thread by a Ham operator concerning Dipoles.
    Last edited by Turboomni; 05-21-2020 at 04:30 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I read That description over good and it sounds good on paper, now I just hope the guy knew what he was talking about. LOL I think about that old joke about ( you know how to tell when a salesman is lying? His lips are moving ) Maybe some of the old pros in here will chime in. The dipole is a back-up plan, my first plan is to move my old starduster to where my penetrator is and raise it to the max my coax will go. Approx. 15-20 more. I don't like the penetrator being bothered by rain. I'm working in a tough spot to get out with my best open spot down thru a south east opening in the valley. I don't even think a beam would work well here. My neighbor is old skip talker from the 70s-80s and he thinks my antenna should be mounted on the Railroad mountain but I would need 200' or more coax and the Railroad would be after me. FUN FUN FUN

Visitors found this page by searching for

None