preps
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coax question

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    Dug out my original Workman M400 Starduster antenna that I fixed after it split from water getting in it and freezing. I think I'm going to put it up to replace my Super Penetrator and raise it to the max my coax will allow because the starduster is not bothered by rain. Then I will see if it helps with skip!
    good luck...I been getting quiet a bit of skip out of Florida, but for some reason I'm having a problem getting heard...And thats pushing close to 1K, on my shooting star...just one-way type skip...Have made a few contacts tho, just not as many as I should be.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-17-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    good luck...I been getting quiet a bit of skip out of Florida, but for some reason I'm having a problem getting heard...And thats pushing close to 1K, on my shooting star...just one-way type skip...Have made a few contacts tho, just not as many as I should be.
    Funny thing you mention that because I'm having the same problem with my New Galaxy base station. I'm hearing really well but don't seem to being heard. I haven't put my finger on it yet but I know I didn't have my new radio and the old Palomar tuned together. I see a trip to Bob's CB shop coming up in a couple weeks with all my radios and amps. Time to put the Hammer Down. LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    Funny thing you mention that because I'm having the same problem with my New Galaxy base station. I'm hearing really well but don't seem to being heard. I haven't put my finger on it yet but I know I didn't have my new radio and the old Palomar tuned together. I see a trip to Bob's CB shop coming up in a couple weeks with all my radios and amps. Time to put the Hammer Down. LOL
    Just a Mother Nature deal...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-18-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am just starting to get some skip these last few weeks on my mobile and my base. I moved my base horizontal dipole outdoors and out of my garage attic. From western MA /NY State area I have made contact with Kentucky,Northern Mississippi ,N/S Carolina,Georgia, Alabama, New Brunswick Canada, Detroit etc. I heard 151 Mower Junkie in SC but he didn't hear me. But most of the time it is deader than a doornail though.
    Last edited by Turboomni; 05-18-2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: I cant spell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-19-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    I am just starting to get some skip these last few weeks on my mobile and my base. I moved my base horizontal dipole outdoors and out of my garage attic. From western MA /NY State area I have made contact with Kentucky,Northern Mississippi ,N/S Carolina,Georgia, Alabama, New Brunswick Canada, Detroit etc. I heard 151 Mower Junkie in SC but he didn't hear me. But most of the time it is deader than a doornail though.
    As a fellow hobbyist it is good to see when someone who has been working on it starts to have success. While the challenge can be fun it can also lead to frustration some times with all the different options. With all the different praise of dipoles I've been thinking of getting one myself. But I also want to try a beam system like JJD has yet! I guess I'm a Sick Puppy! LOL

9. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (05-19-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From my limited knowledge a horizontal dipole is rather directional. At one time I thought of having 2 dipoles going each direction that I could switch. On ebay I saw quite a few dipoles for sale. One I want to mention was there was a full wave cb dipole which was 30 or so feet long. Never knew about these and wonder how they work.
    Last edited by Turboomni; 05-19-2020 at 08:30 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-19-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very best antenna I've had up was the Lightning L4 quad...full wave horizontal and vertical...Talked to places all around the world when I had that thing up...England, Germany, Africa, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and all up and down the west side of South America...

Problem with that antenna tho was, it couldn't handle the wind storms we get here from time to time...within the first 6 months of having it up, I had to bring it down maybe 6 times to fix a broken wire...finally just decided it wasn't worth the headache...

May try it again one of these days, only string it with a different type wire...may instead of a solid core wire like the factory used, to a stran type wire like what is on the reflector element of my MaCo shooting star...it's never broke since it's been up, and it's seen some hellacious wind storms!

Since replacing the L4 with the MaCo, I still make allot of DX contacts all across the country and up into Canada...But not one single contact across the pond.

My L4...

MaCo shooting star

Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 05-19-2020 at 08:31 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-20-2020), Turboomni (05-19-2020), whiteastro (05-20-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see what you mean. The top photo looks to be fragile looking. Hell ad some paper to it and you have a box kite!!
    How tall is your tower?? Does it get hit by lightening often??
    Last edited by Turboomni; 05-19-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    I see what you mean. The top photo looks to be fragile looking. Hell at some paper to it and you have a box kite!!
    How tall is your tower?? Does it get hit by lightening often??
    40' tower, then the mast sticks up another 6 or 7'....Never been hit by lightning...least not yet...It's a aluminum tower made by Universal Towers...It's also has a hinged tilt base so I can lay it on it's side to work on the antenna...

It's a self supporting tower, meaning it don't need guy wires as long as you stay in specks with the wind load at the top...since I have more antenna on top than what the tower recommends, I had to add guy wires to be on the safe side.

To tilt the tower you remove the two bolts on the back leg, then just the top bolt on both of the front legs, and just loosen the bottom bolts...then crank it down. (I have a hand winch on a pole next to the tower that I use to lower and raise it)

Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 05-19-2020 at 09:27 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Cedar Mountain Radio (01-05-2021), Turboomni (05-19-2020), whiteastro (05-20-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow ,,very impressive Mr Dallas!

Visitors found this page by searching for

None