preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it? Is CB dead?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it worth it? Is CB dead?

I used to have all kinds of fun with CBs, and I even had a base station in my bedroom when I was a teenager. I'd like to put one in my pickup again, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. Is anyone on the air anymore at all?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That depends on your location and your setup. It's not like back in the Hay Day of CB but it is still there if you choose to pursue it. I bought a used Uniden 510 XL Pro for $10 at a indoor flea market to try out while I was in the city I hooked it to a cheap mag. mount antenna and was talking to the locals in the matter of minutes. It saved me from getting into a traffic jam once. Good luck, start small and decide!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

454 (05-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am getting back into it since putting my first CB away in 1980. I was browsing ebay awhile back at old CB radios for sale. Long story short I got a cheap new cb radio for my birthday. A Uniden pro 505 xl. Bought a mag mount for my truck and was back on the air. Not like it used to be but got my feet wet. I am really interested in skip using USB and lsb. I set up my base . Absolutely no locals in my area and skip has been really poor lately. I have not given up though and received some skip last night. You may have some local traffic in your area though. Let us know how it goes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

454 (05-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting heard a lot more skip today. I am in MA and heard NC,SC,FLA. Spoke briefly to Western North Carolina and he said so far in his area no Corona reports.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (03-30-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    Interesting heard a lot more skip today. I am in MA and heard NC,SC,FLA. Spoke briefly to Western North Carolina and he said so far in his area no Corona reports.
    Congratulations you made some contacts! Where was your antenna today and how high?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (03-30-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I had brought out my Dipole antenna outside and put it up at the peak of my second story garage to a tree. This was over a week ago. SWR is 1.2. I went out every morning and evening and nothing until last night and today.
    Weird huh?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (03-31-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well with all this social isolation going on these days and with some success at my base station contacting NC and New Brunswick Canada I figured I should explore this more. I ordered a Sirio Performer 5000 mag antenna for my truck. That way I can locate myself on a mountain or hill and give her a try. Found the Sirio Performer 5000 with 145 mag mount for 103 bucks and free shipping at of all places the Walmart website. It is being shipped out from DNJ radio. Should arrive next week hopefully.
    Now to wire up my KL 203 directly to my battery with a fuse and give her a try.
    Last edited by Turboomni; 04-03-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Old timer from the early 70's. Active on sideband and worked skip daily. Left in the early 90's because the potty mouths would'nt let me keep the radio on with small children present. Still have the basic mobile unit with a heavy duty Hustler beer can on a rigid mast, talked around the world with a clean 250 W PEP solid state amp. Still have the gear but these plastic cars today have no ground plane and no place to mount a standard swivel ball with heavy duty spring.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd420nova For This Useful Post:

Big Till 3.0 (07-12-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey that's cool you were an early ssb guy. I couldn't afford a ssb rig in the 70's ,just AM ..still have it. You should give it a try again!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

454 (05-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I get to drive semi trucks now and then. I am still amazed at how many other drivers still use them. Its so handy for communicating on mountain passes, traffic jams, deer & elk alerts, etc. At least out in Rural CO, UT, WY and MT it works great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WorkHarder For This Useful Post:

454 (05-14-2020), Turboomni (04-12-2020), whiteastro (04-12-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None