preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Mobile Install

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks and yes it is always rewarding when you see your sacrifices and efforts starting to pay off. The other day I talked to a guy on AM that was about 18 air miles away which doesn't sound like much but I know how many Hills & Trees was between us and know it would have never been done without some help!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    18 miles on AM direct contact is very good.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (06-07-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But that was running the amp because it would never happen in this environment on 4 watts. It's a jungle with hills. When I was young and in school they taught us that 52% of Pennsylvania is covered by forest and I'm sure it is a little less now. The meaning of Pennsylvania is ( Penns-Woods ) and they don't call this the Endless Mountain Region without reason. Over Hill over Dale we hit the less than Dusty Trail. LOL
    Last edited by whiteastro; 06-07-2020 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Add to

5. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-07-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a bit like where I am in the Berkshire mountains. Great work!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (06-08-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    It's a bit like where I am in the Berkshire mountains. Great work!!
    Well I can understand your despair if you are a mountain man into radio or anything with a antenna. LOL But there is something about these old hills that gets in your Blood and there is many of us across the USA. I've drove from coast to coast and USA is full of beauty! Like the Willie Nelson's song ( I can't wait to Get On The Road Again )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-08-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Mike any success with DX? That setup should get it done!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lipless For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (06-08-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipless View Post
    Hey Mike any success with DX? That setup should get it done!
    Hey Donnie it is good to hear from you again! Yes I think I will like the mobile setup when I get more chance to check it out and put it thru it's paces. I did talk to Nova Scotia Canada the other day. I always remember you telling me that My Star Duster antenna is probably the best for down here in this valley and I think your right. I set up a HyGain super penerator SPT500 and have run it along with my Star Duster to compare them both for performance and don't see a lot of difference until it rains and then the star Duster has it hands Down. The Penetrator SWR goes to hell when it rains. So needless to say the penetrator is coming down and the Star Duster is going up in it's place but maybe 20' higher. How's the Ham World been treating you? Hope you was able to dodge the corona bullet!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 06-14-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    Well I can understand your despair if you are a mountain man into radio or anything with a antenna. LOL But there is something about these old hills that gets in your Blood and there is many of us across the USA. I've drove from coast to coast and USA is full of beauty! Like the Willie Nelson's song ( I can't wait to Get On The Road Again )

Since I am really into DX only at my base in the Berkshire mountains my base antenna is a horizontal dipole and from my research would give me the best results. On a car you have less options.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since I am really into DX only at my base in the Berkshire mountains my base antenna is a horizontal dipole and from my research would give me the best results. On a car you have less options.
    Well I never really considered a Dipole antenna and never really did much study on them. I'm in a deep narrow valley,if I lived on top of the hill it would be better for getting out. My Star Duster radiates the signal different that is why my Ham buddy Lipless suggest that antenna. I haven't had any official training in radio work so I tend to listen to people who are into it on a larger scale. I'm going to change my vertical antenna 1 last time this summer because of the tilting mount system I built. But I will be 70 this fall so ladder work is getting tougher on the old legs. I just bought a dipole because they are cheap but I really am kind of puzzled on how I should mount it around here with all the obstacles and sloppy ground. At almost 70 yrs. old I for sure am not going to fall off a ladder over a dipole antenna. I've been a maintenance man most of my life so I'm no stranger to ladder work but I'm smart enough to know when it's time to take the boat out fishing and breath that nice clean Non Corona Air! LOL

15. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Odancoiler (06-17-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For what it's worth I really like my Sirio Performer 5000 mag mount. What's neet about it is it can fold back. My truck is 6 feet or so to the roof and the Sirio is close to 7 feet. I fold it back enroute to my calling destination and pop it up when needed. What state you in? I am in Western MA/NY State Line. My dipole is aimed SW/NE
    Give me a education on aiming a dipole in case I get around to putting mine up. I also would like to aim for SW/NE but have no clue how to aim one!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-20-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None