preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB Display failing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB Display failing

Hello guys ,been having a ball with my 980 + RM Italy kl 203 and Sirio Performer 5000. Get great reports and hit Dallas Texas today from MA. Problem is my display is starting to fail. Getting dimmer and some segments are almost impossible to see even if dark. Wondering what can be done other than sending it to Uniden for 58 bucks + shipping and a 4 week wait. Only paid 65 bucks for it used. Radio works great otherwise. I am worried the display will fail completely. Any thoughts or links would be great.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you go into the menu and change the brightness, color, and contrast settings for day and night. I hope you got a manual with it, if not maybe you can download it from Uniden. I know my 980 is a pain to change the settings but that is because I get in a hurry. Sometimes this new stuff seems to change it's self for unknown reasons. But I would try to change the brightness settings first and some colors are easier to see. Hope this helps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-18-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I did go to the menu and did the day night brightness,contrast,color things. It used to be fine and now even when keying down and talking the display tends to dim and brighten to the modulation. When in the truck and hit by the sun and it got a little warm the bottom of the channel numbers got dimmer than the rest of the already dim display. Cal is no longer visible at all and a few other things.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (06-18-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    Yes I did go to the menu and did the day night brightness,contrast,color things. It used to be fine and now even when keying down and talking the display tends to dim and brighten to the modulation. When in the truck and hit by the sun and it got a little warm the bottom of the channel numbers got dimmer than the rest of the already dim display. Cal is no longer visible at all and a few other things.
    I figured you did do those checks but thought I would ask. Here is another long shot, check your voltage going to your radio to see if it is getting proper voltage, and try to read it when you key your Microphone to see if it drops when you key down. See what happens if you don't turn your amp on. Other than that you might have to take it to a repair shop. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think your right, as at home I run 2 75 amp power supplies ,one for the radio and one for the amp and it still happens. Maybe it's time for a President McKinley.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (06-18-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Check your wiring in your truck that feeds the amp and radio, it shouldn't be less than 14 gauge wire. I ran 14-3 extension cord from Harbor Freight to feed my amp and radio and have it on a 15 amp fuse. My KL-203P say it needs 8-10 amps and the radio doesn't draw much. 14 gauge wire is suppose to be good for 15 amps. You might have the right Idea about a New McKinley because if you have to take your radio to a shop it might get expensive to fix and will you ever trust it again. But like I said make sure your power feed wire is heavy enough to not starve your equipment. And if you step up in amps you need to step up the feed wire. Let us know your progress! PS Making the contact trip to Dallas Texas is a good trip. Was that done in your Truck or on the dipole?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-19-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  20200527_145359 (1).jpg
Views: 2632
Size:  4.95 MBYes I will double check. Dallas was through my dipole at home. When I am in my truck I sometimes go to Mt Greylock in Western MA which is 3400 ft above sea level and talk all over the place. The radio works great and I get compliments on the sound [did the mic mod] . Performance has not diminished at all only the display.
    Last edited by Turboomni; 06-19-2020 at 09:37 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (06-19-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice picture, I wish I had a spot like that I could pull off and talk! We have spots but they are on someone else's property so I avoid arguments so I don't get in the fight mode. Uniden has a good reputation but every manufacturer has a occasional OOPS. I took 3 pics to show you what my antennas are up against and I'm not in the bottom of the valley. If i was in the bottom of the valley I wouldn't even bother with CB Radio.Name:  SouthEastValley.JPG
Views: 2607
Size:  660.5 KBName:  Antenna1.JPG
Views: 2610
Size:  514.0 KBName:  Antenna2.JPG
Views: 2609
Size:  508.5 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-19-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey nice setup and beautiful setting!!. It looks quite a bit like where I live in the Berkshire mountains. Is that your bid 2 door garage there in the first pic??
    Here is what my 980 looks like now.
    This is 38 LSB. Pitiful isn't it??

Name:  20200619_211853.jpg
Views: 2607
Size:  1.14 MB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (06-20-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No that Garage in the first pic is my neighbors. That is just a shot South East down thru the narrow valley that twist and turns. I'm lucky I get a TV signal so I don't have to be on cable. Good luck with your radio!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-20-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2337-Uniden-Bearcat-980-SSB-Display-failing