preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New President Mckinley question.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboomni View Post
    I got it on Ebay for 164 bucks free shipping. 10 bucks tax. He still has a few.
    Yes that is a good price. Good for you. I hope it works good for you. Walmart.com wants $179.00 plus tax with free shipping. Bob's CB Shop wants almost $200.00 plus tax & shipping and if you get it tuned it is another $30.00. I made a contact in my Cobalt with my 979 on 38lsb the other day that I have talked to before and he said it was the best he has ever heard me before. So I'm going to run with my 979s but if they ever let me down I will try the McKinley. Good Luck!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-26-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The over the pond Mckinley looks impressive!
    It will eventually be available here...Seems like all the New radios that come out, first show up overseas at least a year or two before making their way to the US...Guess there's a bigger demand for them there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-26-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I will say whiteastro if my Uniden 980 didn't go sour and if I could have had it fixed promptly instead of a 4+ week turn around I wouldn't have bought the McKinley. Yesterday I was on Mt Greylock and during a DX lull I was talking to South East CT. They figured out it was a 117 mile trip to the furthest guy no problem.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I will say whiteastro if my Uniden 980 didn't go sour and if I could have had it fixed promptly instead of a 4+ week turn around I wouldn't have bought the McKinley. Yesterday I was on Mt Greylock and during a DX lull I was talking to South East CT. They figured out it was a 117 mile trip to the furthest guy no problem.
    There is nothing wrong with a 980 when it is paired up with a small amp for performance. I think you just happen to get one of the Friday afternoon or Monday morning radios and that can happen in any brand. My 980 just happen to be the first version and you couldn't shut the beep off and I'm an old traditional guy and didn't like the BS Menu, and I must be a control freak. My 980 still works so I might throw it on griegslist or keep it around for a spare.It's not eating anything right now so I'm not to worried about it. Happy DXing!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (06-26-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey did you get the McKinley yet?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I did. Very nice radio and the display still works LOL!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Strangest thing I got a notification in my email that someone posted that LCD display problems can be caused by poor grounding issues. I read it in my email but couldn't find in the new posts or anywhere on the junkies site. I'm still scratching my head on that one!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the things I like about my McKinley is the receive is good on it, and it's compact. The squelch and seek are great too. However, mine only swings about 7-8, so it has very little power behind it. I suppose a shop could do something.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by avalanche View Post
    One of the things I like about my McKinley is the receive is good on it, and it's compact. The squelch and seek are great too. However, mine only swings about 7-8, so it has very little power behind it. I suppose a shop could do something.
    The McKinley is NOT a power house radio, and what your getting is about it, but there are a couple of things you can do yourself that will improve the "Audio" on AM and the watts on SSB....(this is the same thing a shop would do, and charge you 25-30 bucks for)

Watch this video from CB Magazine...there are two pots that you can adjust to improve audio and the ssb wattage...He also talks about another mod, but just do the two pot adjustments (dummy prof, so you really can't mess things up if you turn the pots too far...You just need a tuning screwdriver and a external watt meter.

If you don't want to watch the whole video, skip on down to about "24:20" on the counter, thats where he talks about the two adjustment pots and shows you exactly what to do, and where the pots are at so you know what to look for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMp-GBLZxYw
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 11-21-2020 at 09:26 AM.

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2341-New-President-Mckinley-question