preps

Thread: Mobile Linear can damage vehicles computer?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mobile Linear can damage vehicles computer?

Anyone ever heard of installing a linear amp in a newer vehicle being a risk to damage to the vehicles computer?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Newest vehicle I have installed one in was a 2017 Chevy cargo van...(4-pill) no issues with it...

They "can" interfere with the computers, causing weird things like motor stalling, or bucking, lights flicker, wipers turn on when talking, but never heard of one actually damaging the computers...That's not saying they won't, just depends on the install, the radio, vehicle...Just no way to tell if your going to have problems...lot's of variables...

I would say, if your not comfortable installing one, then you may want to just run the radio as-is...Running Amps with CB's is a gamble anyway you look at it...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (07-23-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've heard of higher power HF amps damaging car computers. I remember reading about a case where a guy was running a kilowatt amp on 75 Meters, transmitting while passing an 18 wheeler. Signal reflected back from the side of the truck and killed his computer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 454 For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (07-24-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A small amp (4 pills or less) shouldn't be an issue if wired correctly and placed away from the computer. The metal box on a car computer is a faraday cage to prevent interference. Now I probably wouldnt want to put an old mobile tube amp in a newer vehicle of any wattage but the transistor amps arent too bad unless you got a garage built class C. I did briefly have one of those and it would trip my wipers.
    73's

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2350-Mobile-Linear-can-damage-vehicles-computer