preps

Thread: Radio selection advice

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Radio selection advice

Hello, new to van radios never had one before, me and a couple of colleagues decided it would be handy to have them to keep in touch at work. We work on wind farms and as such are sometimes up areas with low reception on mobiles.

Not sure if we should fork out extra for SSB or just use an amplifier?

Not sure if it’s possible but it would be extremely handy if we could cover our sites at the most extreme distance between them is around 50miles but if this is not possible would ideally like to get around 20miles

Any advice would be great

TIA

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    20 miles is doable....50 miles probably not...all depends on the antenna set-up's on each vehicle...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (08-09-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That’s great thanks for reply, what would you recommend for maximum coverage? SSB?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    IMO....SSB radios in mobiles are a pain...yes they can get a little more distance with little power, but in most cases your going to be fiddling with the clarifier (fine tuning knob) to tune in the other radios all the time...

IMO. a good AM radio with a amp will get you the most bang for the buck...Not one of the export radios that cost several hundred bucks that claim they do 100-400 watts...Just a good plane-jane CB with something like a 1x2, or 1x4 amp behind it...

They you'll need to consider the antenna...and placement of the antenna...

You said something about Vans...a Van is going to be tricky to put a CB antenna on, and still be able to drive it down the road without knocking the antenna off at the first bridge you drive under...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That’s great can you recommend any good brands or models to look at?

Yes antenna may be an issue no bridges around here but still if I happen to go somewhere out of area I’d need an options for that.

Due to the rate as we go phone signal is hit and miss and would be very handy to be able to stay in touch with the second team.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post

Yes antenna may be an issue no bridges around here but still if I happen to go somewhere out of area I’d need an options for that.

Due to the rate as we go phone signal is hit and miss and would be very handy to be able to stay in touch with the second team.
    I run a K40 magnetic mount on top of my Astro van with good luck with a small amp and don't have too much problems with the trees around here. There is another penetrator antenna with a fold down mount. Most of it depends on the height of your van and environment you live in, but a small amp will help you do what you want to do.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Figure the Van is at least 7' tall, then add a antenna that is around 6' tall guess you would be OK with bridges that have a clearance of at least 14'...when it comes to "CB Antennas"...taller the better!

As for radios and Amps go...depends on your pocket-book...Lot's of guys like the Cobra 29's (AM Only) which have been around seems like since the dawn of time, they run around $100....

I have a President McKinley, still a basic CB radio, but has AM/SSB/Weather and a bunch more features, they run just under $200

When it comes to a Amp...You need to consider first what kind of alternator you have and how many amps it puts out...Amps pull allot of juice out of the electrical system so you need to be sure your alternator is big enough to supply the amperage...

Generally as long as you stay with Amplifiers that "claim" to do 400w or less, you'll be fine...I have a 1x2 Hooper Built Amp in my Tacoma that does around 300+ watts, and no problems...think my alternator is only a 90amp.

Hooper Built Amps can be found on fb... https://www.facebook.com/HopperBuilt/

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (08-09-2020), whiteastro (08-04-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post

If you are driving one of the Newer style vans that I am noticing on the road these days you might not have to deal with the 7' height of the van because they look shorter. A van is great to work out of but like every thing there is no perfect world. If you are dealing with 7' here is a link for info. Plus if you are from Scotland you have cold winters so think about radio drifting so SSB might not be the way to go. https://www.rightchannelradios.com/c...8-magnet-mount

11. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (08-04-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My 04 Toyota Tundra crew cab is around 6 feet to the roof and my antenna is 6 + feet. I bought a Sirio Performer 5000. It works well and it can be folded down so you don't hit the antenna on low tree branches etc while driving. I rarely use my CB while driving so I fold it down when going to a spot ,park and put the antenna up. I own a Mckinley and use a RM Italy 203.

Last edited by Turboomni; 08-04-2020 at 04:33 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (08-04-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I drove a full size chevy van for a couple decades and delighted in Hustlers rigid mast and over-size beer can resonators. They even make the mast with a regular resonator and either mid or low breakover. Mounted with the heavy duty spring and a lanyard tied to a gutter clip to keep it from laying flat while going down the road. Mounted on the drivers side at the rear to avoid low trees closer to the curb, keeping it in the middle of the lane. The solid state amp was mounted in the rear too.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd420nova For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (08-04-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None