preps

Thread: Testing My Dipole Today

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Testing My Dipole Today

Well I took the time to play with my dipole today to see if I could bring the SWR down to a acceptable level. When I first tried it a couple months ago I tried it with 75' of RG8U with a SWR of 1-1.5 but it went to the dogs with a amp. Today I tried 50' of RG213U and the SWR got even worse and totally unacceptable. After trying several SWR meters I find they are all reading better on channel 1 than on channel 40 so that tells me I have to shorten the dipole. I've never messed around with dipoles before so anyone have any helpful hints on the task at hand so I don't make a mess?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only experience I can offer is.... remove the same length from each end. I would start with something like an inch on each end and try it again. If your antenna's design allows it just "fold back" the wire to shorten the leg. Assuming it was too long to begin with... keep going shorter ( a bit at a time.... both sides) until you hit a fairly even point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobcat For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (09-15-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    The only experience I can offer is.... remove the same length from each end. I would start with something like an inch on each end and try it again. If your antenna's design allows it just "fold back" the wire to shorten the leg. Assuming it was too long to begin with... keep going shorter ( a bit at a time.... both sides) until you hit a fairly even point.

Thanks Bobcat I will try to post a picture of the end later today. It looks do-able with their fancy connection on the end. But it won't be as easy as it looks with big fingers. Here goes some cussing. LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  dipole end.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  594.1 KBThis is it. I bought a silver marker to mark the wire from the connector.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Bobcat this might make you smile, laugh, and feel good! This morning before Sun-up I precisely shortened my Dipole 1" on both ends and tested it half-hinny this afternoon in the back yard with that same 50' of RG213U that I was getting over 3 SWR with. This afternoon I got 1.3 on 40 and got 1.1 on 20 and got almost flat line on channel 1 I was pegging a guys needle on ch. 38 but he wasn't far off. The dipole was only 4' off the ground so now it is back into the attic before I make anymore adjustments. Just thought you might like to laugh and smile.
    Thanks again! Mike
    Last edited by whiteastro; 09-16-2020 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NO CHARGE for that information my friend!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, that is the right technique to use on a dipole. Start "too long" and work your way shorter until the SWR at each end of the band is balanced well enough to suit you. It was just luck that the 1" on each end worked on the first try!

I hope you enjoy many happy hours on the air!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobcat For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (09-17-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NO CHARGE for that information my friend!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, that is the right technique to use on a dipole. Start "too long" and work your way shorter until the SWR at each end of the band is balanced well enough to suit you. It was just luck that the 1" on each end worked on the first try!

I hope you enjoy many happy hours on the air!
    I'm sure things will change when I move it to the attic and might need some fine tuning because I figure I was roughing it in. I had the coax straightened out just laying on the ground. If I get lucky and it is the same in the attic I might leave well enough alone unless it goes over 1.5 with a small amp. In the attic it will be about 20' in the air in this old 2 story house.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None