preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Non Power Mic on the market !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Best Non Power Mic on the market !

This might be interesting to hear opinions. While out with my little daily driver today I noticed my modulation needle wasn't swinging when I spoke into the microphone so my first suspect was my 9 volt battery was dead in my road devil mic. When I got to my 1st stop I pulled the back off the mic to check out the inside of the mic, pulled the battery looked and reinstalled everything, reinstalled the cover and tested the mic. It started working again. I've always had in the back of my mind that I hate relying on batteries especially in the cold of winter. So this brings the question to mind, ( who makes the best non power, 4 pin microphone with the cleanest and clearest sound that is dependable ? ) Right now I put the stock Galaxy mic back in with a extension on the cord because the stock cord is to short. I will turn up the modulation on the radio to 100%. But is there better non power mics than galaxy on the market that are reliable?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the best plane-jane after market Mic's out there right now is the Superstar....I've seen them listed around $10, here's one on ebay at $14. (either of these)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Workman-CM4...AAAOSw5FVe9BH0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CB-RADIO-MI...4AAOSwQXVfhySq

Just a plane Mic like what comes with radios, or a bit better...There's a shop near me that sells the heck out of these things, and uses them when testing radios over the air that he's either selling or been working on...
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 10-18-2020 at 09:13 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-19-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    One of the best plane-jane after market Mic's out there right now is the Superstar....I've seen them listed around $10, here's one on ebay at $14. (either of these)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Workman-CM4...AAAOSw5FVe9BH0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CB-RADIO-MI...4AAOSwQXVfhySq

Just a plane Mic like what comes with radios, or a bit better...There's a shop near me that sells the heck out of these things, and uses them when testing radios over the air that he's either selling or been working on...

I just happen to have 2 workman mics on hand. I'll give them a whirl ! Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally like the Ranger SRA-198. I see a lot of techs recommend them on many radios other than Rangers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzweiser For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzweiser View Post
    I personally like the Ranger SRA-198. I see a lot of techs recommend them on many radios other than Rangers.
    SRA 198 is a NC Mic that you almost have to eat to be heard....

Now that I think about it, If you can find a SRA 158 Mic, those are a stock type Microphone that use to come factory with the Ranger radios and General Lee's before they started using the SRA 198's...SRA 158 Mic's are two-steps better than those Superstar Mic's I posted earlier....
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 10-20-2020 at 05:32 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    SRA 198 is a NC Mic that you almost have to eat to be heard....

Now that I think about it, If you can find a SRA 158 Mic, those are a stock type Microphone that use to come factory with the Ranger radios and General Lee's before they started using the SRA 198's...SRA 158 Mic's are two-steps better than those Superstar Mic's I posted earlier....

Thanks JJD looks like both the SRA158 & SRA198 both gets good reviews. I found this video and thought it might be of interest to some. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWreE35dL4o

10. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (10-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I tried one of my older Super Star mics. yesterday and was told it sounded scratchy compared to my stock Galaxy mic. It might not have been a fair test because the history of the used Super Star is not known to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (10-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    I tried one of my older Super Star mics. yesterday and was told it sounded scratchy compared to my stock Galaxy mic. It might not have been a fair test because the history of the used Super Star is not known to me.
    May have to back off the Mic gain using the Superstrar...They tend to be pretty sensitive and will pick up the faintest sounds almost like a power Mic...and if your like me, and the mic has spent the last decade or more in the bottom of a junk drawer, it could be full of dust and dirt...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-22-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You know JJD I think I had my numbers crossed when I said the 198...lol. I meant the stock RCI mike that came with my radio and that is the 158. The 198 probably better for mobile operations when you're doing 70 down the interstate with the windows open.....lol. Sorry for the confusion.
    73's

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzweiser For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-22-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    May have to back off the Mic gain using the Superstrar...They tend to be pretty sensitive and will pick up the faintest sounds almost like a power Mic...and if your like me, and the mic has spent the last decade or more in the bottom of a junk drawer, it could be full of dust and dirt...

I will try turning down the mic gain and give it another try because I probably did have the mic gain cranked up. As far as the mic itself I did take it apart and cleaned it before I installed it for trying. That fiber disk behind the mic opening was all crapped up with something but I cleaned it with contact cleaner and the PTT switch because I wasn't sure if there was corrosion in there. The mic element I left alone because I didn't know what contact cleaner would do to it. My other Superstar mic is waiting a connector to change it from 5 pin to 4. That SRA158 is starting to interest me.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None