preps

Thread: SUV antenna install

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

SUV antenna install

Greetings everyone. 1st time poster...

I'm seeking your help as I want to get back into CB'ing. I have a 2019 GMC Terrain and seeking the best way to mount an antenna. Newer SUVs don't have a lot of metal on the room, so I'm concerned about magnetic mount. There is a roof rack that would required a NGP antenna, but haven't found a mount that looks appropriate - not sure that a mirror mount will work well as they are different shapes. I don't want to drill holes into the car body for a permanent mount.

I'm leaning towards a 3'' firestik NGP antenna, unless magnetic would work then probably a Wilson 1000. However, I am completely open.

I'd appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks,
    Rob

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't want to drill a hole, then either a Sirio Performer or Turbo 5000 with magnet mount, or maybe the Stryker SR-A10MM (magnet mount)...

I would stay away from the Wilsons...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (12-13-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got back into CB's specifically SSB this year as I never tried it back in the late 1970's. I bought a Sirio Performer 5000. It is a mag mount. This antenna is approaching 7 feet tall and my Toyota Tundra crew cab is very tall also at around 6+ feet at the roof. The Sirio has a hinge at its base and I fold it down while driving and raise it when I get to where I want to broadcast. Otherwise it can hit trees etc as the truck height and antenna make it very tall.. I am no expert like Mr Dallas but I am very happy with this antenna. I hear good stuff about the Stryker too and also warnings about Wilsons but no personal experience with them. If you just want AM cb on the highway etc you don't need a big honkin antenna. Here we are atop Mt Greylock in MA. Welcome back to CB land.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200527_145359.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	4.95 MB 
ID:	2449
    Last edited by Turboomni; 12-13-2020 at 09:59 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Turboomni For This Useful Post:

ForestRunner98 (12-13-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another consideration is how long you need your coax run to be. I run a K40 magnet mount antenna on top of my Astro van with a 18' coax because of the way I route my coax with no loops and the antenna gets me under most trees and a 11'6" car wash clearance. It gives me great SWR and if I need to go under a car port it is just a 1/4 turn to disconnect the antenna from the magnet. It keeps you Ratchet Jawing going down the road ! LOL PS You won't knock that magnet off your Rig !
    Last edited by whiteastro; 12-14-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the top loaded, spring mounted, rigid mast from hustler. Tied to the side when erect so it won't flop over but tries to when mounted on the back.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd420nova For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (12-20-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mjd420nova View Post
    I like the top loaded, spring mounted, rigid mast from hustler. Tied to the side when erect so it won't flop over but tries to when mounted on the back.

I've heard it said that top loaded antennas are the best, better than center or base loaded !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mjd420nova View Post
    Top Loaded Hustler?....Never seen one...Got a link or picture?

Only Hustlers I know of are all center load or 102" whip.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    I've heard it said that top loaded antennas are the best, better than center or base loaded !
    In theory this is correct top loading is more efficient than base or center loading for most antennas, however as long as your CB antenna is at least 5 feet in length it is rare that this difference is ever big enough that you will get anywhere close to noticing.

Especially in a mobile environment where other factors will very easily drown out the effects of the small difference between the various places to put a loading coil. Literally, in a mobile environment, getting a taller vehicle with a bigger sheet of metal to mount the antenna on the roof to will make far more of a difference. Ever wonder why the competition crowd likes to use old SUV's? (there are several actually, but this is one of them)

Also, speaking of mobile environments, RF bonding will also have far more of an effect than where the loading coil is placed.

The long and short of it is, if the CB antenna is longer than 5 feet, you won't notice the difference. If the CB antenna is shorter than 5 feet, you need a longer antenna.

I'm not trying to talk down about top loaded antennas, by all means if you want to run one go for it. I'm just trying to put the real world effects of how noticeable it is into perspective.

There are a lot of things in this hobby that will net you a slight edge so small that you will never notice, and some people will say "this is better". While not technically wrong, the understanding of how much better something actually is often overstated to a large degree.

The DB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The DB For This Useful Post:

Turboomni (12-21-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I often wondered if a top load antenna is suppose to be better why is it you find fewer of them. I seem to see more center and base load antennas on the market. I usually don't believe everything I'm told and it is more important to have a taller antenna feeding my base station but my vehicle is not as important. That's just my humble opinion and everyone to their own notion. Of coarse if I was in competition I might think different, or if your life depended on it. LOL

Visitors found this page by searching for

None