preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWR is extreamly high....please help

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The new magnetic antenna base showed up this afternoon and I took the Jeep out into the middle of nowhere. The SWR is now much lower and in the normal operating zone for all channels.
    I was able to reach a trucker on I-25 at six miles. More than enough for my needs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rapidrob For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (12-27-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice to see you have success. I'm sure you will see more miles in other situations. I talked 10 miles with a cheap $15.00 mag mount Walmart antenna on top of my car roof one time in the right situation. Tune it to be the best it can be!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    It is a Wilson 4' FLEX 5/8 wave. It has good reviews and can be bent 180 degrees without braking.
    I wanted it for off-road riding and prevent damage to the antenna without having to use a "spring".
    The wire is for tuning but in my case does not work well due to where the antenna is mounted now.
    Most folks cut it off as it is not needed in most installations.
    OK..."IT could be" to tune the antenna, you cut a little off that wire until SWR gets to where you want it...sort of like trimming a stinger on other antennas.

If you have a in-line SWR meter, check and see if SWR on channel 1 is higher or lower than channel 40...

IF SWR is HIGHER on channel 40, than channel 1, then your antenna is too long...

IF that's the case, then cut a little off that wire and see if it changes SWR...If it helped lower the SWR any, then you may try cutting a little more off and see what happens. (may have to pull some more wire out from inside the jacket)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Visitors found this page by searching for

None