preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The FET project

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

The FET project

We it doesnt look like the economy is getting any better any time soon - so I am going to start playing around with mosfets. Need to find the best possible bang for the buck that runs efficient!

I had an old skywalker 300 fet amp that i got on ebay a few years back. It has 4x irf520's which is what some of these export rigs are using in the little mini built in amps- and now more and more people are using for final mods on their radios.
    So after smoking this amp several times (by testing it to see if it will do what skywalker claims- which it did not - I recently revived it from the scrap heap.

Originally - this thing did 150-200w. Nice little driver. I used it to drive my 400hd. Since i rebuilt it my way, Im seeing 250-300w now and it runs way cleaner and more efficient - max amp draw so far has only been about 15a. So im using this on the base at the moment to drive my 2100b. So far so good!

Now im going to try to build an 8 fet box using the irf520's (cause theyre only $.89/ea)- if i smoke em- who gives a ratts ass.. If this turns out good, then we will strip it back down and rebuild it with the ERF7530's and see where that goes..

I also have a 50v project going on simultaneously with another friend- but this is going to be a multi-band hambone thing that I will somehow adapt for 11m use as well.
    Will keep everyone posted!

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    So hows the 8 fet box coming along

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    rmitaly makes a 1 driving 8 520 amp but the driver isn't needed with modern cb radios and certainly not with exports so your straight 8 makes more sense with them .

http://dd182003.wordpress.com/2011/0...mp-to-look-at/

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to know. Well ill try it out straight 8 and see where its at first.

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Doughboy- I'm waiting for some shoulder washers from mouser. As soon as they get here I can finish this thing up and start beating on it.

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Update - Last night i got this thing singing. Had to change some tranformers and re-wrapped em and some tuning- but here is the results for 8-FETs (@ $.89/ea). Using my kenwood rig on AM, I drove it @ 50w and saw 450w DK come out of the fet box and ONLY a 20a Draw @ 13.2v. The kenwood is a dog on AM and doesnt talk worth a dam - so that was flat out carrier - no audio. maybe tonight ill put it behind the viking and see what she swings.
    If time permits this week, I will make a driver section with 2 FETs and drive it with either my 29 or S9 and see what she does. If all goes well, I think we might just say F-it and build a 4 driving 16 next. Theyre cheap enough to experiment with.

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good job Noisemaker. Stay with it. Fets the future of the hobby, especially considering the price of them.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
    Good job Noisemaker. Stay with it. Fets the future of the hobby, especially considering the price of them.
    You got that right! They went up from $.89 to $.96 unless you buy a bunch.. Just bought 30 more @ $.74 ea.. lol

hey you still have same phone # gg?

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by noisemaker View Post
    hey you still have same phone # gg?
    yes I do....

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok- did some more tinkering. Got 500w off the kenwood (no driver)- straight 50w carrier, no audio. Took a grant xl that DK's 2w and swings 10, put a TS Vmod in line and she swings 600w. We might be on to something here

noizybuilt.com

Visitors found this page by searching for

erf7530 mosfet

erf7530

irf520 cb radio

irf520 linear amplifier

irf520 cb mod

irf520 cb amplifier

mosfet cb amplifier

irf520 mod cobra 29

powered by vBulletin cb radio modificationlinear amplifier cb irf 520irf520 amplifiererf7530 amplifiermosfet cb ampirf 520 amplifiercb mosfet amplifiererf7530 mosfet amp drawmosfet cb amp plansirf520 cb ampbuild mosfet cb amplifierirf520 cbirf520 cobra 29mosfet cb ampsirf520 in cb amplifierspowered by myBB president cb radio modscb radio irf520