preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Coax Type and Length REALLY Make a Difference in a Mobile Set-Up?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm curious about the President, the Texas Steel 7' Whip and it's reported 7/8 wave performance. That's a lot of wound up wire in that bottom load. That's 24.5' of wire after subtracting 7'. Can't quote but have read it on numerous sightings where 5/8 wavelength is the best aside from a 36' dipole. Why President didn't fatten the load space and wrap for a full wavelength is another curiosity. I can imagine "7/8 wave" and "weather trap" as two glaring Advertising Blunders? They trap water in the loaded base to immerse the windings in the corrosion.

As to coax, LMR200 is quite good as it has two shields. And it's not LMR400, which is >twice the diameter. LMR200 has the diameter of the popular RG58 at 3.6x the price. Having said that, I'd take tender care of that LMR200. No crimping in the window or door jamb.

A real experts would know better than I. It has been my practice to have coax length in multiples of 3'. 13' wouldn't fit but 12 or 18 would. Why? Because that's what the experts said. By Definition: Expert - Bygone drip under pressure. I was once an expert now I'm retired.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-11-2022 at 07:17 PM. Reason: weather trap?
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None