I'm a truck driver and recently was put in a new truck. A 2020 international LT. They no longer have the mirror bars for mounting. Which I loved. I run the mountains so a good set up is a must.

So the rear cab mounts were garbage. I recently purchased the mount shown below. The problem is, I cannot get swr below 3 across the board. I'm not a pro at all the technical cb data. I've read that usually that is a grounding issue. The mount bolts onto the door hinge, so I would assume that would create a ground between the mount and body, and possible door. I am also sure the location is an issue but I see guys running bird perches with no issues. I temporarily moved the antenna to the rear of the cab, mounted onto the catwalk grab bar. This puts my antenna tip just over the cab. The swr is better but still a little high.

I was going to try ground straps (10g wire, I do not have braided straps) and see if that helps but was wanting some advice from you guys who know more than me, before I wasted my time.

I've used a meter and checked continuity at the mount area and it shows to be good. From the mount to cab, etc. I do not know.

I've also read on ground planes and was wondering if I could help "fake?" one by installing a circular disc where the coax attaches to the mount. would that help deflect?

I currently have a cobra 29LTDC with Wilson mini-8 coax and Wilson 2000 antenna. I've always had great luck with these antennas.

I'd like to get my swr' lowered so I can run my bigger radio. I just don't wanna hook it up until I get it fixed. Thanks.

Name:  Mount.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  40.6 KB