preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radio swap crazy swr readings

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The help has been great, i thank everyone. I will be sure to post an update. I think ive run into magnetic issues with the roof, as in aluminum cabs....ill see what fate should bring.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I forgot this little bit, last night i got out the ol' lil will and stuck that sucker on my metal garage door. Ran the wire through the window and hooked it into said td. The radio smiled with glee. I was bouncing from 1,1.2, and occasionally 1.6. I decided i would ask for a radio check....from my shipping office 6 miles away!!! She said yes i hear you fine, could you put a trailer in the door for me??? I said well im at home on my radio. She tells me oh my it sounds like your in the yard!!! I am very pleased to hear this.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    occasionally 1.6:1 - Coax bad? shake it and it goes one way or the other, really it does.
    6 miles

2nd thought - Doubting 3'er will do it with vertical reflecting surface of trailer. Need 50% + radiator length above trailer height. I'm thinking, Wilson 5000$110 or Styker SR-A10$99. Walcot or Bellscb; Shipping Walcot $$$40$$$ Bellscb$25. I'd look more deeply into factual Wilson height. Walcot sez 6.5' RightChannelRadio reports 62"; 15" difference. I know the SR-A10 is 68" before tuning; 63" whip. That raised my eyebrow? 2" of whip is inserted into base mounting shaft. Base measures 5" from tractor cab roof to gun barrels of SR-A10 base.
    I am wagging 30" trailer height above cab height. If I'm right the SR-A10 radiating portion of whip is a smidgen over 50% above trailer height.
    I surely don't know the distance between tractor mounted antenna and blocking trailer. The reflected power may be negligible but the blocking component is a assured.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-13-2022 at 04:13 AM.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama Buckeye For This Useful Post:

Slimjim85 (03-16-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    https://www.wearecb.com/selecting-th...oax-cable.html
    Should you reconsider and go toward dual mirror mounted antenna the information herein may be of value - storage of excess coax and the co-phased coax importance.

Just thought I'd add: I was just reading on ClaysRadioShop a real good write up on the Wilson 1000, I've no knowledge of Wilson, but sure sounded inviting. Beefed up coil with 10 AWG and improved interface between coax and coil. http://www.claysradioshop.com/citize...mnt_specs.html
    Fair price until shipping is tacked on. Might as well goto Stryker SR-A10 for $2 more and 6 AWG coil. 10K vs 3K watts. And the A10 has glowing blue lights on transmit. woo-hoo
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-13-2022 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Added

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama Buckeye For This Useful Post:

Slimjim85 (03-16-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, yes...break in outer layer where coax joins coil base it was a 40$ mag ant i guess no great loss. My next choice is the stryker...primarily for the blue tx lights lol. My biggest fear is blowing up the td due to faulty ground.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fear not, Dr. GoobermintHeR3tik is here. I'm may not help with your problem but I can tell you how tyranny happens.
    Dr: What do you mean your flow isn't regular, Shirley? Shirely: Nuttin wrong with my flo, just like anybody else's, plain ole linoleum. I rode a Triumph R3 for years.

Antenna ground? You get a 1.1:1 SWR from your bonifide SWR meter, and I ain't talking about the one in the radio; you get better than 1.5:1 be happy. I test antennas out side 6' away from the all steel (not tin) shop on a 4'H steel post, vertical or horizontal doesn't matter. Crude but it works. I get 1.1:1 or better all day long.

The mirror, mounted semi-torqued to body does make for weak ground, and all those bolt connections between here and there. Supplemental ground is logical. Why not go to magnet mounted antenna and be done with it.

Magnet mounts have been in use for how many decades? No one saw need to drill a hold in their roof top to add a superfluous ground. The tractor body is well grounded to the frame. Good enough.

The Stryker SR-A10 has a PL-259 connector unlike any I've previously known of. The collar of the connector can be removed. You're left with a fitting on the coax I measuring at 13/32" (0.40 or an RCH bigger than 3/8) versus 5/8 (0.625). If you're gonna drill a hole in the under body to pass coax through 1/2" grommet beats 3/4".
    Can't post image; not entitled.
    https://strykerradios.net/store/sr-a...nt-cb-antenna/
    That plain steel disk must me for plastic Vette? This image doesn't show it but there is a removable black rubber shield fitted under magnet base; for paint protection. Must be new since picture taken.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-13-2022 at 08:22 PM. Reason: not entitled; speeling

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama Buckeye For This Useful Post:

Slimjim85 (03-16-2022)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None