preps

Thread: Newbie CB Junkie Forum

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Newbie CB Junkie Forum

The Alabama Buckeye is not far removed from the Aesculus glabra, commonly known as Ohio buckeye. The Alabama Buckeye is a shrub, not a tree.
    I started my adventure into CB radio nearly 1/2 century ago in Ohio where I crowned myself Buckeye Weatherman. I traveled Ohio (my first duty station) to C. Tennessee to see the folks at least monthly. My first radio was 9 crystal Radio Shack CB. Fit perfectly in the removed ashtray space in my Gremlin with 102" steel whip. I'm a 40 year retiree from the atmospheric science field. It's not a real science as there are no firm fast rules; only best guess and good luck makes for success. Most TVcasters couldn't forecast intestinal gas onset after an all-night buffet at Taco Bell. But you gotta hand it to them hurricane forecasters; they pick the right model more often than not these daze.

I re-entered CB radio arena with greater gusto about 20 years ago.
    My equipment:
    Stryker 655HP, 1st
    Stryker 955HP + SSB, 3rd
    Ranger RCI 2950, 2nd
    Ranger RCI 2970N4, 4th
    Cobra 29 LTD Classic Chrome, 5th
    Baofeng UV-50X2
    and a 5 pack of variant Baofeng UV HT radios.
    DaveMade 200A Power Supply

As to radio choices I've re-applied an old adage: Spending a bit more for the better choice is money well spent; better to dive in than simply wet your feet. Go big or go home.
    All my 10/11M radios can be throttled down as low as 1-3W to drive either M80 or M200 which in turn can drive the Fatboy. However 2 of 5 have low PEP and I dont consider them stand-alone radios.

DaveMade M80, 2x2290
    DaveMade M200, 1x2290 x 2x2879
    Fatboy 8 Pill 8X2879

Imax 2000, Vertical Monopole; now called Solarcon Max Optimizer. Wouldn't be a good choice for regular blustery wind regions; such as front face Rocky Mtn States.
    Sirio SD 27, Vertical Dipole; modified to two element with dual SS 102" whip reflector. This antenna will function well as an omni-directional (without the reflector); 1/2 wavelength tunable.

I finally realized the benefit of the 200A power supply. I was regularly drawing upwards of 100A. I put it to the test when I coupled a larger driver (M200) to the Fatboy and was pulling 150A. Money well spend.
    As to amplifiers and antenna I believe it was all money well spent; no regrets. Have never had an inclination for conventional multi-element Yagi.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-13-2022 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Saw the Light

Visitors found this page by searching for

None