preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SWR off the chart

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    JJ, I will make a L bracket and install it on the fender tomorrow, will let you know how it went.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to somis81 For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (03-26-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    You gotta get that antenna above the roof line so it can see and breath !
    Technically about a foot of his antenna would be "above the roof line" mounting it on the fender like I was talking about.

The body of that RV is fiberglass and composite stuff and not metal, so the antenna won't even really see it...Plus by moving the antenna forward to the fender will get it away from the cab which is metal...

I do agree mounting to the roof would be a better location, but not realistic in this case...from ground to top of the roof is probably 10' or close to it, add a antenna to the top of that, and it would be history first bridge you drove under.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

somis81 (03-27-2022), whiteastro (03-27-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you try tilting it forward on a angle? We put antennas on my buddies dump truck mirrors we had to tilt them forward for good SWRS.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:

somis81 (03-27-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bingo JJD, you nailed it!
    I would never have thought the mirror arm wouldn't work since it showed good ground.
    I made a temporary bracket this morning on the drivers side fender, changed the antenna over to it and what a difference it made. I am showing SWR hovering around or below 1 on all channels.
    Thanks a lot.
    I just ordered a fender mount from Alexa, now that the SWR problem is fixed am thinking of changing out the 3ft stick for a 4ft stick. The problem is that the roof overhangs the hood, and I don't want the antenna hitting the overhang.
    I think I will drive it a bit with the 3ft, see how it sways first.
    Thanks again, really appreciate it!Name:  Antenna left side.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  73.1 KB

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to somis81 For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (03-27-2022), whiteastro (03-27-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by somis81 View Post
    Bingo JJD, you nailed it!
    I would never have thought the mirror arm wouldn't work since it showed good ground.
    I made a temporary bracket this morning on the drivers side fender, changed the antenna over to it and what a difference it made. I am showing SWR hovering around or below 1 on all channels.
    Thanks a lot.
    I just ordered a fender mount from Alexa, now that the SWR problem is fixed am thinking of changing out the 3ft stick for a 4ft stick. The problem is that the roof overhangs the hood, and I don't want the antenna hitting the overhang.
    I think I will drive it a bit with the 3ft, see how it sways first.
    Thanks again, really appreciate it!Name:  Antenna left side.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  73.1 KB
    Yep, like I said, I went threw the same thing on that box van I had, and although the arms "seem" to have good ground, they just don't like cb antennas!

4' antenna would be better than the 3' sure, as long as you can keep it from hitting the over hang...

Glad it worked out for ya...Might be a bit more sturdy if you could figure out a way to mount it to one of those bolts I see in the picture also.
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 03-27-2022 at 07:12 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (03-27-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Giving the site another go with MacBook in lieu of Windoze.
    Somis led us to believe chateau was aluminum leading one to think of blocking shadow. If so, the right rear will not receive transmissions.

Can't speak with experience as to height of usual 18 wheelers and bridge clearances. Some small town RxR overpasses have taken the lid off a share of trailers. Google search sez 13.5' avg hit for semi-trailer. Certainly the usual KOA campgrounds aren't adapted to tractor trailer traffic.

I should attempt writing an epistle here just to see if server takes a dump on me. But, I retire instead.

Glad you got a fix on it Somis. You might give some thought to one of those medium SS springs for the antenna. 3-4" hgt with straight vertical sides to them, versus 6" HD model with the bulging beer belly. Less stress on fender and mount should you encounter a brush up. Must add: 5' Firestik and 3-4" spring - no good. Antenna will suffer Peyronies disorder in no time.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-28-2022 at 12:13 AM. Reason: 5' + 4" no good
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None