Thread: SWR off the chart

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

SWR off the chart

Name:  20220325_152149[1].jpg
Views: 36
Size:  5.34 MBI am a newbie to CB.
    Just bought a President Randy FCC handheld.
    I have a Tioga 29ft RV and bolted a Firestick antenna mount to my mirror arm and put a 36" firestick FL3-B 36" Firefly antenna with a tuneable tip and a 10ft coax going through the door jamb to the handheld I checked the SWR and it's way over 3. So I checked all the antenna wiring and bracket for continuity and shorts, everything is fine and the ground is reading solid to the chassis. I tried adjusting the firestick tuneable tip all the way up and down, still same reading on all channels. The SWR reading is way over 3 and halfway into the red bar.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by somis81; 03-25-2022 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Added text

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mirror arm is not grounded...best-bet would be a fender mount like the other antenna you have mounted by the stereo antenna...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I checked the steel mirror arm from the antenna mount to the battery and the chassis with a ohm meter and the ground from the antenna mount to the battery and chassis is rock solid.
    Last edited by somis81; 03-25-2022 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What is the travel lodge made of? Aluminum, sheet metal? Check continuity between mounting screws and batt. grnd.
    Check continuity radio case to ground.

Nice catch there JJ on the loaded antenna base.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-25-2022 at 10:57 PM. Reason: case to ground
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama Buckeye For This Useful Post:

somis81 (03-27-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Truckers have a habit of supplementing their mirror mounted antenna bases with auxiliary dedicated grounding straps from the bases to an under hood grounding bolts. Why? Because the weak links between the mirrors mounts and a positive ground. Movable/Swivel mirror brackets make for P1$$ poor ground contact.

Not to mention the likely reflective nature of the travel lodge you're toting. Jessie James recommended fender mounting. I'm doubtful your 3' Firestik will do much better there.

A cursory look look at the Randy FCC, reveals cute HT radio. They have their place. RF power out, Check! No mention of 4W legal power. Did your SWR check reveal any insight as to how much RF power?

You may be better off with the included Rubber Ducky antenna. Glass is not a barrier to radio signal. You'd have a 180 degree forward cast of radio signal. Of cource you want to hold it vertical.

There's no telling the mangled status of shielding as it is passed through from outside cab to inside.

#1 Number One importance is antenna. And yours is in the running...See https://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-26-2022 at 12:11 PM. Reason: mangled shield, speeling

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    JJ, Buckeye, thanks for the help, the REF is reading 7%. I have the handheld on 4 watt hi power. The president randy has great reviews with no complaints about power.
    I grounded the antenna base to the engine compartment battery grounding bolt with a spare battery cable, still no luck, still way over 3 SWR. My motorhome is aluminum and the antenna may be too close to the body and mirror or maybe it's the wrong kind of antenna.
    I can hear truckers talking on channel 19 with the Firestick, but the rubber ducky doesn't pick up anything.
    Not sure what to try next.
    Last edited by somis81; 03-26-2022 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    7% bad. Think magnetic mount.

You got a chance with magnetic mount antenna. 3'er Firestik can be a component but won't work as mounted.

Must be on top. A steel base attached to aluminum chateau grounded adequately.

7% ya got me there! That's not 7% of 4Watts. That's off the charts, somewhere between totally undesirable and infinity.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-26-2022 at 04:04 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama Buckeye For This Useful Post:

somis81 (03-27-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For a example of what I was getting at...On my old work van I had similar mirror arms as what you have, and as much as I tried to mount a antenna to them, with all the extra grounding I tried, just like you my SWR was up over 3...

Finally decided on mounting to the front fender, and fab'ed-up my own fender mount...Once done, SWR was flat as a pancake...

Now as Alabama pointed out, it would be better if the antenna was a bit taller to get above the roof line of the camper, but I think the one you have will still work fine if you move it to the drivers side, and fender mount it...

Here's a pic of my old work van...sorta hard to tell how tall the antenna is in the pic, but it's little over 5' (looks taller in the pic)

Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 03-26-2022 at 04:33 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

somis81 (03-27-2022), whiteastro (03-27-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You gotta get that antenna above the roof line so it can see and breath !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (03-26-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Steel disk mounted to top of camper.

I've had enough of this. Last post! Fix the GD site server.

Somis81, you need a mag mount antenna on top.

Gone.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-26-2022 at 06:01 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama Buckeye For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (03-26-2022)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None