preps

Thread: How to connect roof magnet mount antenatal to handheld radio

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question How to connect roof magnet mount antenatal to handheld radio

Hello all. Hopefully a simple question. I have a small handheld cb radio I would like to be able to hook up to a magnet mount cb antena. I am thinking wilson lil will, but the connector on the radio looks different than what I remember their being when I installed my cobra 29 ltd in my pickup truck. I just want to know what adapters i do or don’t need. Thanks.

This is the radio I have.
    Name:  CA93623B-1337-4072-A3B8-DDA2A2E9D434.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  3.44 MB
    Uniden PRO401HH Professional Series 40 Channel Handheld CB Radio, 4 Watts Power with Hi/Low Power Switch, Auto noise cancellation, Belt Clip And Strap Included, 2.75in. x 4.33in. x 8.66in. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N43KM5S...V3440ATRCCDEW8

And this is the antenna I think I would like to use.

WILSON 305-38 300-Watt Little Wil Magnet Mount Antenna https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AAT94W...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t think this comes with a coax, so can i get one that will connect directly to the radio, and no adapters? I would like something thin that can go through the door jamb on a pickup. I want to make a set up i can had to someone to borrow so I can talk with them on the cb in my truck.

Thanks for any help. And pardon the crappy post, made on cell phone.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe you want a BNC (M) to SO-239 (F) connector.

Door jamb routing can present issues. Shield mashing is the primary concern. Coax is precisely constructed to isolate shield from center electrode. This is damaged by mashing the coax in door jambs or elsewhere.

Don't forget the rule of 3s.

I expect you'll find the Lil Wil is equipped with 15' of coax and PL-259 (M) connector; compatible to SO-239. Although I suggest looking at K40 brand K30 model. Perhaps cheaper. Look at one or the other as tunable for you choice of bandwidth.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 04-03-2022 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Rule of 3s; PL-259; bandwidth tunable
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama Buckeye For This Useful Post:

Mr. Dude with a face (04-03-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you! Most informational. As I said, I am supper new to the world of CB radios, so thank you for you help. I am aware that the coax can be very easaly damaged in places like doors, but with how often this set up will be used (very seldomly) I think I can get by by just being careful. I don't think I fully described how the set up will be used in my first post, so to make things easyer, I will describe now. I have a cb radio and its antena perminatly installed in my truck, I got the hand held cb radio so that I could give it to people whom I was traveling with so they could talk on the cb as well, but I have found, that when the small hand held cb goes inside the cab of a truck, the range becomes very, very short. My idea is with the magnet mount antenna that it can easaly be put on the roof, and then the cord run carefully inside to be hooked up to the small radio.

I think this is the connector you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Female-PL259-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

And a side note, now that I am not doing this on the cell phone, I looked again at the listing for the antenna in question, and I can see the cable wrapd up inside the package, and also, farther down on the page, someone asked what connector it had, and it lists a pl259.

And, now back to the question of connectors, you said that the SO-239 and the Pl-259 are compatible, so I looked them up on google images, and to my eye, all I see is the same stuff. And also, now it begs the question, what connector do I have on the back of my radio in my pickup, my cobra 29 ltd, because if I can just run with all the same connectors, that would be great! Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    SO-239 Female on Cobra 29 LTD. What? You springing in another radio? The Uniden was the radio of question? You must be a NY transplant to UT? JUST funning with you.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 04-03-2022 at 04:51 PM. Reason: justfunning

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont see tune-ability with the Wilson 2000. And, I dont imagine you have a SWR meter, not including POS S/SWR meter.. 1:1 is great 1.5 is marginal and 3:1 is bad.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No. Just a question of what connector was on it.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry for the muddy waters and delayed clarification.
    The Uniden has a BNC connection; radio is female and rubber duckie antenna is male. Can't give you numbers on them.
    The Cobra has a female HF SO-239 onboard. The Wilson Lil Will has, most likely, compatible PL-259.

Uniden adapter: BNC Male to SO-239 Female to Wilson mag antenna.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None