Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coaxial Ferrite Choke

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Coaxial Ferrite Choke

Name:  cbjunk (2).jpg
Views: 81
Size:  2.20 MB5x 63mm Fair-Rite #43 toroids with four passes of RG213. Choke is fitted to a newly built Moxon antenna.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    think I would used metal hose clamps instead of those plastic pull straps to hold things together...A year from now you will be taking it down to replace broken pull straps when those rot from the Sun and start braking...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Using metal would be a really bad idea. The loops are spread out on purpose for stray capacitance, for one. The heavy duty cable ties are of commercial quality, they are UV stable. You would be surprised how long they will last. This is a practical solution for a very effective coaxial choke. The only thing I can see that could go wrong in the near future, is if the Cockies got stuck into it. Then again, they can destroy just about anything if they take a liking to it, and they are very intelligent. I'm talking about Cockatoos here in Australia of course.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And by the way, I have had a wire Moxon up with a similar arrangement for over 2 years without a problem. In fact, the wire of each corner of the fibreglass spreaders is attached by a pair of much thinner cable ties than this. The Australian sun is some of the harshest in the world. We have summer temperatures well over 100 Fahrenheit. We have frosts here too below 40. So I am going to suggest that you do not know what you're talking about.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Archy View Post
    And by the way, I have had a wire Moxon up with a similar arrangement for over 2 years without a problem. In fact, the wire of each corner of the fibreglass spreaders is attached by a pair of much thinner cable ties than this. The Australian sun is some of the harshest in the world. We have summer temperatures well over 100 Fahrenheit. We have frosts here too below 40. So I am going to suggest that you do not know what you're talking about.
    Can tell you never been to Texas... That's Ok...If it works for you then great...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    #1 Ugliest Award "Ugly Balun" goes to Archy of Australia. A 5-30W Stout will be swallowed on your behalf. Congratulations.

Might I inquire the toroids used, should I endeavor to duplicate?
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fair-Rite 5943003801 61mm toroid.
    https://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...B3p7fLXQ%3D%3D

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice idea and if it works, it works...who's staring up at the antenna anyway to care about appearance?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It works. I think he was making a joke on ugly baluns, which this is not.
    Innovantennas like to do this as a sleeve balun, but even if you put 25 ferrites on the coax, it won't have the choking impedance of this. You'd probably need more like 50, and then you'd be out of pocket. Each time you loop the coax, you square the impedance.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually I presenting an award, a 5-30W stout to you Archie. Cheers. I'm exploring ugly baluns though I wish to adorn them and make them of minimal wind load. I want to place them right at the 8' antenna input where bracing is marginal.

I'm most interested Arhie with why mix 31 over 43 is a preferred, if so? VHF and UHF principally?

I brace my masts at 10'.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 04-06-2022 at 12:19 PM. Reason: 10'bracing; VHG/UHF?
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None