preps

Thread: Uniden bearcat not turning off

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Uniden bearcat not turning off

Hopefully someone can help me out with an issue I have. Uniden tech support can only read my the troubleshooting section of the manual back to me. I bought a uniden bearcat 980 and i installed it into a school bus IÂ’m building. It worked for about a day and then wouldnÂ’t turn off with the volume knob, it clicks but wouldnÂ’t turn off. I thought it was an isolated problem so I sent it back and got a new one and after about a day the new one did the same thing and wouldnÂ’t turn off. This time I just wired in a switch and used that. I played around for another day and then noticed now when I turn on the PA speaker it plays the CB radio through the speaker, as if I have it hooked up to the aux speaker outputs, but itÂ’s in the PA output. Uniden just wants me to return this one also and get a new one but I want to know what the problem is. I have the positive wire run through a toggle switch and strait to a fuse block I installed, the negative is wired strait to the ground side of the fuse block that is grounded to the battery. There are a few other electronics hooked to this fuse box but on different circuits. Some things I may try with the new unit are to ground it to the chassis and not the block and run a diode in the ground so it canÂ’t be back fed with power. Any thoughts??

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the forum. We can hope you see value in your time spent here.

As to the Uniden Bearcat 980, I can't recall whether it's 2nd or 3rd time's a charm. You're building a school bus? Apparently you've some know-how to install things such as a CB radio. I highly doubt it is your installation. I've no idea what the problem is; and, I'm not a believer in 3rd time is a charm. I see the Uniden 980 is a SSB 11M radio? Might be worth a third attempt just for that aspect. Wouldn't know how long this model has been on the market? I'm not familiar with SSB CB radios though I see https://www.hamtronics.com/best-ssb-cb-radios/ has a list with the Uniden 980 #1; which may be a matter of payola alone.
    I don't imagine the warranty is long? A third attempt and subsequent failure is another consideration.
    Not much help on my part, sorry.

Again, welcome to the forum.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama Buckeye View Post
    Welcome to the forum. We can hope you see value in your time spent here.

As to the Uniden Bearcat 980, I can't recall whether it's 2nd or 3rd time's a charm. You're building a school bus? Apparently you've some know-how to install things such as a CB radio. I highly doubt it is your installation. I've no idea what the problem is; and, I'm not a believer in 3rd time is a charm. I see the Uniden 980 is a SSB 11M radio? Might be worth a third attempt just for that aspect. Wouldn't know how long this model has been on the market? I'm not familiar with SSB CB radios though I see https://www.hamtronics.com/best-ssb-cb-radios/ has a list with the Uniden 980 #1; which may be a matter of payola alone.
    I don't imagine the warranty is long? A third attempt and subsequent failure is another consideration.
    Not much help on my part, sorry.

Again, welcome to the forum.
    Thanks for the info. I’m hoping 3rd time is a charm, I’m going to try to wire it not through the fuse block and to a different power supply. Fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do as you will, I've wired to fuse block for radio install; never had an issue I'm not recalling my use of PA speaker; but, it wouldn't surprise me that the received CB traffic audio is output to the PA speaker. You key the mic and your transmit is also blasted on the PA. Was the switch to OFF working on the second unit.

Maybe some wise owl will chime in here and educate us both?
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Visitors found this page by searching for

None