preps

Thread: Mobile antenna swr high readings

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mobile antenna swr high readings

I installed a cobra 19 in my jeep wrangler. I ran an 18ft coax to a rear mounted 4ft firefly tuneable antenna. I can not tune the antenna to get any swr reading below 3.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmatt42 View Post
    I installed a cobra 19 in my jeep wrangler. I ran an 18ft coax to a rear mounted 4ft firefly tuneable antenna. I can not tune the antenna to get any swr reading below 3.
    Have no idea how you have your antenna mounted, or what it's next too...

BUT...Going by the mistakes most Jeep owners do when mounting CB Antennas, I can only assume you have the antenna mounted either to the spare tire bracket or right up next to it with most of the antenna right up next to the back of the Jeep and/or tire with very little (if any) of the antenna clearing the top of the roof...and probably are using a 4' or shorter antenna....

Best option on Jeeps, is installing a ball mount on the drivers side rear quarter panel, and using a 102" whip antenna...(picture shows what looks like maybe a 4 or 5' antenna...102" would be better.)
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 07-11-2022 at 07:19 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Front fender mounted antenna would be even better, and you could get by with a 4 or 5' antenna and get SWR closer to 1.1-1.2

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No matter where you mount the antenna, the proper type will solve most problems. Using a top loaded ( meaning a majority of the antenna wire is near the top end) antenna will get most of the radiating element above the metal body. Directional paterns can be solved with dual antennas. Personally I use the Hustler rigid mast with mid break and the super resonator. Mounted on the drivers side, near the rear.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have to agree all previous responders to your inquiry.
    Most important to get the that antenna's 1/2+ height above the roof, 2/3rd better.
    I'm a big fan of magnet mounted antennas. I've my share of FireStiks of varying lengths and the 5'er mounted at truck bed height centered behind the cab is my fave. Though I've most recently upgraded to a SR-A10 with about 68" of total height. It's the Cat's meow; and, it illuminates on TX.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None