preps

Thread: Cobra 2000GTL and Astatic D-104 Golden Eagle

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cobra 2000GTL and Astatic D-104 Golden Eagle

I am a new owner of used legendary antiques. Sure I overpaid for both. But they are in such fine, even pristine condition.
    The Cobra 2000GTL has had the Frequency Switch mod applied, which I'm not enthusiastic about; but will live with unless I get some motivating feedback on the DDS-VFO upgrade. The Tone Control has been modded for variable dead key, thank you very much; I run 1.5-2W into my pre-amps. And my hearing isn't good enough to hear the differences Tone Control makes. Otherwise it's pristine with dual original speakers.

I thought my Stryker 955HP was a good receiver. The Cobra 2000GTL is far superior.
    Talked to Australia from Alabama on LSB and Imax 2000 the other night; what a rarity that was, for me, with skip working out both directions. 27.385 LSB sure is crowded; even on SSB it seems etiquette is also an unknown application. Every capable DXer wants to dominate and get their contact list checked off. No 1 minute pause after 5 minutes of channel domination.

The Bi-Centennial Commemorative Golden Eagle, Astatic D-104, is sparkling. Has never had a connector on it, til now. Gotta problem though: It doesn't have the Relay to Electronic mode switch. I'm 1/2 blind therefore I keep my fingers away from hot soldering irons. I farm-out my delicate electronics work to local radio pro who is researching the issue. Any help from here would be appreciated. nucow.com is asking $1,770 for a pristine Golden Eagle; I'm not that dumb nor overindulgent, unless 3 pints of Bock is approaching such.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 07-20-2022 at 06:04 PM.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice set, I'm using the same setup. They are getting more rare to find in good shape...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 138xlr with the dds-vfo installed and it is quite a neat rig! I did not think I would like it as much as I do. I do have a 2000GTL also. It was my first base station. Keep those classics alive, Gents!

Visitors found this page by searching for

None