preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hy-Gain SPT-500 (the new model) how-to for 11 meter

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hy-Gain SPT-500 (the new model) how-to for 11 meter

I figured this info would be useful since this particular antenna is very picky about its tuning for 11 meters.

I assembled the antenna and made the ground radials exactly 103" each. From the bottom tip of the coax connector to the screw that holds the top hat on, it is 22' 6.25" and preforms great! Flat to a 1.1:1 across the band. No need to make any changes to the top hat, just follow the instructions provided with it. This is by far the best antenna I have ever used or owned. Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding the antenna.

By the way, I'm running approx. 800 watts through it with no problem. The distance I get is huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (11-27-2016), JAF0 (02-11-2017), RCIJB (05-27-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really hope some people find this post useful.
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsowders1989 View Post
    I really hope some people find this post useful.
    Yo M+13: Yes its a great post with great info, I'll bet many a distinguished radio enthusiasts have written down your Penetrator SPT-500 lengths. I did! I know there were quit a few guys out there that had SWR problems with the new Hy-Gain SPT-Penetrator 500 Antenna.

My advice was to use the older assembly instructions, but if the bottom element Aluminum Tubing 1 1/4 inch diameter wasn't long enough you couldn't make the proper length ( 71 inches ) The new SPT-Penetrator 500 instructions has the antenna too short for CB use, and they do not call out the bottom vertical 1 1/4 inch diameter tubing length.

Again the use of a Antenna Analyzer will enable you to see were the antenna has the lowest SWR and allow the user to adjust it to were the distinguished radio enthusiast wants it to be. Yeah Ten-4.

Good going....

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    Thanks for posting up the info for everybody

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No problem. Heck of an antenna. Very happy with it. It sets up on top my beam and I'm shooting 600 watts through it with no problem at all.

Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  IMG_0088.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  1.10 MB
    I'm using a original penetrator that I save from an old abandon farm house. Replace the top section,new insulators, bolts and a good cleaning she still works like new.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graybo For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (01-02-2017), Cedar Mountain Radio (01-05-2021)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome!!! Love mine.

Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    try the vector 4000 ant Name:  download.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  2.7 KB

hit thank button
    Last edited by source; 01-06-2017 at 12:47 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to source For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (11-23-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The SPT500 is no slouch and is a great antenna. Very well built and can handle some power. If needed, you can mod it to take more power. The Sirio vector 4000 is another great antenna and I use one myself. It's just not made for a high wind area is all due to its height. A beefed up one would be nice. There is a guy that makes upgrades ones. But they cost a lot more. Like I said before, you want to run big power, look into a Shockwave antenna. They will take some power no doubt!!
    Here is a pic of my setup. Or what was my setup. My antenna was pulled down due to the hurricane we had here in FL.
    Going to be placing this back up at about 36ft to the base here soon. Just got to get off my ass and do it!! Anyhow. Again, have a great day and have fun with the hobby as that is what it's all about!!
    73 and God Bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsowders1989 View Post
    I figured this info would be useful since this particular antenna is very picky about its tuning for 11 meters.

I assembled the antenna and made the ground radials exactly 103" each. From the bottom tip of the coax connector to the screw that holds the top hat on, it is 22' 6.25" and preforms great! Flat to a 1.1:1 across the band. No need to make any changes to the top hat, just follow the instructions provided with it. This is by far the best antenna I have ever used or owned. Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding the antenna.

By the way, I'm running approx. 800 watts through it with no problem. The distance I get is huge.

I'm a little surprised at the shortened ground radial length. My '75 Penetrator uses 8' 9" radials, or 105" which equals a full 108" when you add to the length the average circumference and the width of the mounting plates.

Why 103", Matt? Where'd you originally come up with 103"?

PS: I see you also have an Ameritron, I LOVE my AL-80A, and with the aftermarket Peter Dahl transformer, I've seen 1250w on the PEP Bird 43 when hitting it with the full 115w on 40m. Draws a bit much grid current though, but heckfar, it's only SSB - 30% duty cycle
    Last edited by JAF0; 02-11-2017 at 07:24 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JAF0 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (02-11-2017)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None