Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Uniden BEARCAT 980

My rig:

Radio:
    Uniden BEARCAT 980 40- Channel SSB CB Radio with Sideband NOAA WeatherBand

Power supply:
    Pyramid PS9KX Universal Compact Bench Power Supply-5 Amp Linear Regulated Home Lab Benchtop Converter w/ 13.8 Volt DC 115V AC 70 Watt Input, Screw Type Terminal

Antenna:

Nagoya CB-72 28" CB Antenna (26-28 MHz), Center Coil-Loaded Heavy Duty Spring with Magnetic Mount, Includes 18' of RG-58A/U Cable with a PL-259 Connector

I am using this radio as a base station.
    The problem… I’m getting a strong signal as soon as I turn on the radio. Even with the squelch turned all the way up, I still hear a clicking noise. This signal is constant, on all channels 1-40, including upper and lower sideband. The only thing that comes in clear is the NOAA weather station, but I know that’s in a different frequency range.

Also, according to the built in swr meter (I’ve read its unreliable) my swr’s are running from 6 to 8+. I’m out of ideas guys and I don’t know what to try next. Thank you for any help.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, I turned on my radio with the antenna unplugged and all was quiet. I'm returning that antenna and am now looking for recommendations on antennas. Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Be careful with your grounding. Station ground should be common, even to the negative supply of your DC source and all gear in line with the coax.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’d go with a vertical dipole antenna meant for base stations. Get it up outside as high as you can.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None