preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crazy idea

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

crazy idea

I'm going in the morning to pick up, of all things, a scooter to just goof around on. I've checked out a bit of technical info on the one I'm getting and despite the awesome price of free,it still sucks because the charging system can't even hold a small Cobra or Uniden radio. So I'm thinking, a handheld, speaker/mic setup, but rig up a small echo board in line, and get the adaptors to run a regular mounted antenna and coax. yeah, i went there, echo with a handheld lol. anyone see any potential with this as a decent scooter radio system since the usual mobiles won't work? any other ideas that may seem more feasible? i won't be on it much but want something to listen to when i am on it lol

maybe if i upgrade most of the lights and free up some amperage, i could line up a small kl-30 or something lol
    Working my 1 watt walkie talkie and coax dipole in my basement....

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    might try a solar panel for extra voltage?
    or ni-cad battery packs for a portable drill

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i was thinking in the storage compartment an extra battery, maybe a decent sized lawnmower type? my main concern is groundplane though. I've got a 4 foot fiberglass cobra highgear antenna set aside for it , may toy around with a custom built copper antenna if the 'glass rod tunes but who knows how it'll work out. wish the system could hold a decent sized radio, be funny to key on some truckers on a scooter lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Get a couple small gell cells. 2 in parallel would give you up to 25aH- plenty for a decent radio.

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess the best part of where I'll be parking it is the fact there's a power outlet on the wall. battery tender here i come. thanks for the charging system ideas guys, progress on that build will be noted and pics taken, who knows, with the way gas prices are going, more scoots may be out there with radios....

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    id go with two small gels like noisy suggested and add one of those old school bicycle rub the wheel style light generators to keep them topped off thats what i had on a moped years ago and it worked eventually the bearings in the generator shit but it was a cheapy to begin with

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    back when i was a kid i purchased a nice ten-speed from a police auction(i saved up my lawn mowing money)and on it was a light that was hooked up to this little generator device.it was self propelled/powered.when i was riding the bike and moving along,the wheel of this generator would be pushed up against the tire and the movement of the wheel would power the light.granted this was on a much more small scale but i imagine that with the right size generator parts and the right size wheel to create enough power,you may be able to assis in powering the CB and accessories with the motion of moving at 25 to 45mph.but unless you have that extra battery to hold the charge,it's going to die down when you come to a stop.

just a thought that came to me from memory.i am sure that if you found one of those light generators,you'd be able to modify it to create enough power for your need.i just don't know if they still make them so i'd check a bike store if you want to investigate it.either way,leave it up to a CB'er to put a CB radio on a moped.i'd sure as shit try!!!!

P.S.edit-oh boy,i ought to read the other posts in here before i go and post.i just saw that you other guys already mentioned the generator to the wheel.well,i guess i wasn't the only one to have one then!
    Last edited by Mistah Gravy; 04-10-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: just read other posts.....

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    just got this thing home and already tore all the plastics off to take a look, there's actually a lot of steel frame on this thing. gonna rewire tonight for dual batteries and get the problems in the ignition system fixed. I'll see what the actual output is once i get it going, shouldn't be much work.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    interesting project , keep us updated and post pics if possible

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hey booty, you have any extra flat stock of that aluminum laying around? maybe a 6" length in 3/4 or 1/2 width? i figured out the mounting bracket for the antenna, and where the radio will be placed now that i've been messing with it most of the day.

Visitors found this page by searching for