preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best way to tune sticks for gain help

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question best way to tune sticks for gain help

hello to all new to the board
    i'm looking for the best way to tune 2 straight sticks 3/4' stick in stick at 80' spacing. runiing as a bounce back set up when i say tune i mean for forward gain they are already tune for lowest SWR/reflect i have a ic engineering digi-field strength meter a stock cobra radio bone stock for testing i made a dummy plug with 30 feet of speaker wire to pin 1=shield and pin 3 and a push button at the other end to key and un key the radio from where i'm standing what is the recomended feet to be in front of vehicle i hear 10,20,0,50, and the list goes on this is only for 2 stick no other antennas will be added just to drop the hammer on the locals with !/2 their power thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Set em just as if you were setting coils. Set the hot, move it to rear- and then set the hot. You can probably tweak the back door once you have em in the ball park. once you get there, the try tweaking the front some more if needed. Check your field strength each time you think you have it and write it down!!!

DONT tune while skip is rolling! It will give you inaccurate readings because the d layer is hot. Set em at night or on a rea

noizybuilt.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to noisemaker For This Useful Post:

1iwilly (04-19-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by noisemaker View Post
    Set em just as if you were setting coils. Set the hot, move it to rear- and then set the hot. You can probably tweak the back door once you have em in the ball park. once you get there, the try tweaking the front some more if needed. Check your field strength each time you think you have it and write it down!!!

DONT tune while skip is rolling! It will give you inaccurate readings because the d layer is hot. Set em at night or on a rea
    yes that is how there were tune but i'm having and issue where i have 2 diff setting that give me the same exact readings as far as swr,r,x rite now the rear is 9' taller than the front now if i lower the rear
    3' so i'm only 6 'taller than the front one i have the same swr,r,x even reflect is the same
    i know the 80'spacing and tube diameter plays a role now here is the trickie part at 6' taller if i try to go lower to get more gain i see none on the meter now when i go up a 1/2 at time i see the gain going up
    and i end up back at 9' taller than front i try to lower/raise the front but gain nothing i hear people talking about tuning for gain but i can't seem to see unless i'm already seen all the gain i'm going to get

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the easiest way to tune is to tune the first antenna . get that around a 1.1 or a 1.2 you dont have to get it flat. leave the antenna on . then get ya other antenna and go about 3 inches higher than the first one . bump it down going to some base stations that you can trust and tell them to listen how loud u are and what is ya signal in S Units . try raising the back door up 3 inches more then about 2 inches more at a time. if ya station is more than 50 miles away the antenna 6 to 12 inches of height more on the back door will give ya more gain in groundwave and skip conditions, local you want your back door to be just a couple of inches higher than your front hott antenna.dont worry so much about gain coming out looking at a field strength meter , that is just a reference somewhat . try that and then keep us posted . we will get ya talking strong breaka breaka .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to High Voltage Mobile NJ For This Useful Post:

1iwilly (04-19-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by High Voltage Mobile NJ View Post
    the easiest way to tune is to tune the first antenna . get that around a 1.1 or a 1.2 you dont have to get it flat. leave the antenna on . then get ya other antenna and go about 3 inches higher than the first one . bump it down going to some base stations that you can trust and tell them to listen how loud u are and what is ya signal in S Units . try raising the back door up 3 inches more then about 2 inches more at a time. if ya station is more than 50 miles away the antenna 6 to 12 inches of height more on the back door will give ya more gain in groundwave and skip conditions, local you want your back door to be just a couple of inches higher than your front hott antenna.dont worry so much about gain coming out looking at a field strength meter , that is just a reference somewhat . try that and then keep us posted . we will get ya talking strong breaka breaka .
    well my reflector when in the hot is tune 1.1 r=48 x=4 total length is 102 using the mfj 259b so you are saying leave it there then make the back one 3' taller and tune until lowest is reach is that the way you want me to tune it.??

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How long is your coax and what type of coax is it?

noizybuilt.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to noisemaker For This Useful Post:

Mr.5150cbrn (04-21-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You need to tune so X=0...

You say your back antenna is 9" taller than the front, and if you lower it 3" none of your readings on the MFJ changes, can't be right...Something should be changing if you lower the back antenna by 3"...Most likely "R" will change slightly which is the ohm reading if I remember correctly, and "X" should change...

You probably don't have X=4 on all 40 channels. Find out which channel has the highest X=? and then see what channel X changes at...Then lower or raise the back antenna and see which way you need to go to get all channels to X=0...Once X=0, then you may need to tweak the front antenna to get R and SWR back where you want them...

SWR "may-not" necessarily be 1.0 -1.1 on the MFJ to get X=0 and R around 50ohm.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    shakes head.
    by BOOTYMONSTER » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 pm
    how about an option to delete a thread we make ?
    ill admit im at least a part time idiot . sometimes i do double post when editing a post .
    some may find this hard to believe , but ....... sometimes i even get pissed and make a post i regret later . hard to believe huh?? lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by noisemaker View Post
    How long is your coax and what type of coax is it?
    12ft of belden 9913f spacing 80'

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
    shakes head.
    mind your p and q breeze working on something here. hehehehe damn u r everywhere

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads378-best-way-to-tune-sticks-for-gain-help

keydown fighting stick antenna

beat way to set up fighting stix fo cb

fighting stick cb antenna homemade base station cb antennaCb keydown stickscb keydown stickFighting stick antennacb fighting stick for salecb antenna fighting stick for sale how to make fighting sticks cb antennatweaking antenna gainfatboy fighting stick antenna gainfatboy16pillcb antenna lowest reflect or forward gaincb base station setup in kissimmee flfatboy 16 pill on 4 8volt batteriescb radio antenna fligthing stickpredator cb antennas in fltunestickshow to set up stargun fighting sticksfighting sticks for base stationtunesticks station