preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the best performing base antenna I, and others have found.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

the best performing base antenna I, and others have found.

55's merlin hands down
    by BOOTYMONSTER » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 pm
    how about an option to delete a thread we make ?
    ill admit im at least a part time idiot . sometimes i do double post when editing a post .
    some may find this hard to believe , but ....... sometimes i even get pissed and make a post i regret later . hard to believe huh?? lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont disagree. I have heard nuthing but good things about the merlin.

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it depends on what you call best . best physical construction ? best/most power handling ability ? best price for a very limited budget ? how easy is it to put together and tune ? possible physical size limitations ?

no single omni will be the best in every location . down in a valley a 1/4 wave could be best since the higher TOA can put more signal/lobe up over the mountain/hill .. or if LOS/ground wave contacts are the priority . if you're out in a clear open area or better yet on top of a hill a .825 - .875 WL could easily be the best . whats under the antenna plays a part as well as whats around it aka trees and buildings and conductivity of the soil .

it also has to be strong enough for your weather extremes without having to be repaired or replaced every few years or less . that's the sirio 4000s issue for many users/areas .

if you're on a tight budget a $60 workman m-400/starduster or a w-58 should handle most weather extremes and of course there are much physically stronger versions for very bad weather areas for more money. if simple and easy installation is a priority a antron 99 or imax 2000 or sirio gain master will fill the bill depending on your budget . the GM is getting a lot of flowers ... but it's $180 .

and there's the option of home brewing a antenna to do what you want and have the physical strength you want .... and it comes with the bonus of bragging rights to say " i made it "

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

Mistah Gravy (04-04-2012), whiteastro (03-29-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I had an iMax2000 and that lasted a year. It was "ok" but didnt really cut it for me. Then I got a Maco v5000 (which I am still running) and I have to say I love it. I designed a 1pc tuning ring/hoop for it and have been beating the crap out of it for over a year now. I cant say 1 bad thing about it. I have started making the tuning hoops and selling them. Everyone loves them (so i guess I did good). Im a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" BUT there are some antennas out there that are just flat out ridiculously expensive like the JoGunn beams- which are very good but i think they are a bit much for what they are and seriously over rated. I like Booty's last last option -braggin rights -and thats pretty much the way ill be rolling from now on with any new antennas.

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i home-brewed a GP using a maco type tuning ring . it was a very effective antenna . my vertical was taller though . i tried 22 1/2 ft and 23 ft but i didn't see any difference between 5/8 and .64 wave lengths . i had 108 inch sloped ground elements on it . i also used a one piece tuning ring . i made mine out of 1 inch x 1/8 inch thick aluminum strip from lowes .

certainly not pretty enough to sell , but it was %100 functional and electrically fine .
    i currently use a home-brewed .875wl base antenna .
    Last edited by BOOTY MONSTER; 12-09-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    how does the tuning ring tune do you slide that wire around it?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes , you use your external VSWR meter (or analyzer) and move the wire around the loop making note of your measurements . get the vswr as low as you can . IMO anything 1.5 or lower is fine . if you cant get that low or want to try to go lower but cant on the loop you can also try adjusting the length of the vertical a few inches at a time . heres a link to a nice review of the maco 5/8 ....

http://cbradiomagazine.com/Antenna R...nna Review.htm

the workman 58 is electrically the same as the maco 5/8 FWIU and the folks that have the workman have said its built and finished better than the maco . they can be had for $80 shipped from palco . about the same price as a antron 99 and less than a imax or any other 5/8 that i know of.

http://www.palcoelectronics.com/p1005081.aspx
    Last edited by BOOTY MONSTER; 03-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i recently bought an Antron99 brand new without the groundplane kit and i plan on installing it up in a bare ass'ed tree(well,it does have one branch but not in the way of my plans).i also bought a used one for back up,couldn't beat it for 21.50 plus 20.00 for shipping.
    should i have bought the groundplane kit?i am getting conflicting stories about the gain of having the groundplane kit installed and it looks like between a couple of you,there is a lot of technical background here so i figured i'd ask.thanks,Gravy626

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if mounting it in/on a tree id say no gpk. save your money

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hotrod For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (08-12-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    mount it on a 10 ft piece of pipe and attach the pipe to the tree . it will use the pipe for a single ground element . put a coax choke in the coax just below the bottom of the pipe to reduce the chances of the coax radiating and bleeding into yours and neighbors electronics .

http://www.cbjunkies.com/threads/202-coax-choke-info

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

hotrod (08-13-2012)

Visitors found this page by searching for

cb base antenna reviews

homemade 11 meter antenna

homemade cb antenna

maco v5000 cb base antenna

merlin 55 antenna

homebrew 11 meter antenna

best 11 meter base antenna

starduster antenna

homemade cb base antenna

homebrew cb base antenna

merlin cb base antenna

sirio starduster m-400

55 merlin base antenna

best base cb antennabest 11 meter antennawhat is the best cb base antennastarduster m 400 ssbgood cb base antennahttp:www.cbjunkies.comthreads40-the-best-performing-base-antenna-I-and-others-have-foundCB ANTENNA HOMEMADEhome brew 11 meter verticalStarduster M40010 11 meter base antennacb base antennacb base antennas