preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surburban Battery storage box

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Surburban Battery storage box

Hello all...

Im needing to make a box in the rear of the burban to put about 8 batteries. I have a space 48w and 32 front to back and 30 or so high.
    Anyone know a place where there might be plans to make a box and i could modify it?. Im not good at carpentry but i can follow plans pretty well.

Thanks In Advance

Keith 2112

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think i have it figured out. Dam thing needs to be pretty stout with all that battery weight. So i m first making the base so it can support the weight.. then i will frame it.. then try to figure a hinged top

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    first, do you have enough alternator to run what you are going to, if so you ONLY need 2 batteries
    by BOOTYMONSTER » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 pm
    how about an option to delete a thread we make ?
    ill admit im at least a part time idiot . sometimes i do double post when editing a post .
    some may find this hard to believe , but ....... sometimes i even get pissed and make a post i regret later . hard to believe huh?? lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm running a 4x20 2 leece 320amp 1 200 ad244 should be ok. Ur thoughts?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    perfect!!!
    more then enough
    by BOOTYMONSTER » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 pm
    how about an option to delete a thread we make ?
    ill admit im at least a part time idiot . sometimes i do double post when editing a post .
    some may find this hard to believe , but ....... sometimes i even get pissed and make a post i regret later . hard to believe huh?? lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coolbreeze For This Useful Post:

D-MAX 2112 (05-14-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah....You don't need no 8 battery's...

One thing you may want to do is vent your battery-box so battery fumes don't build up inside your truck...I built my battery box big enough for 6 battery's (6v's or 12v) and added vent tubes out the bottom of the floor to vent any fumes that may vent from the battery's...

Using some electrical PCV fittings on the side of the box, then some PVC elbow's under the truck (one facing the front of the truck, the other facing the back) fresh air is forced in the box when driving, then forcing any gas build-up out....Had to drill some 2" holes in the floor for the PCV, then put some caulk around the pipe to seal...Also around the lid I put some stick-on weather stripping so when the lid is shut, gas can't escape...

One other thing...You may want to make sure to bolt the box to the floor, so in the event of a crash, the battery box says put! Mine, even if I get turned upside-down (God forbid) the battery's will stay in the box, and the box will stay on the floor!
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 05-14-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I might go with a sealed battery..not sure yet... the air coming in, up here in the north could make things pretty cold in the winter..lol. Nice setup!..

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by D-MAX 2112 View Post
    I might go with a sealed battery..not sure yet... the air coming in, up here in the north could make things pretty cold in the winter..lol. Nice setup!..
    Air going in, is going in the battery box, not inside the truck...by the way, just because some battery's are "sealed" don't necessarily mean they won't vent gas if they get hot enough...Around here in the Summer, inside of a car can get up to over 170 degrees in the shade.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nice setup. i need to do the same. Yeah- if youre running flooded cells, it dont matter if theyre sealed or not, the will bubble under charge. only way around that is using AGM's or dry cells. flooded lead acid batteries will produce hydrogen!

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Breeze how did ya make out at the keydown?.. I heard you were opening a can of RF whoop ass!

D-max 2112

Visitors found this page by searching for

venting a battery box

SURBURBAN truck storage