preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varmint XL-250 Tube Amp!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Varmint XL-250 Tube Amp!

Well I got a little fire in the wire thanks to 555 in the Big Horn! He hooked me up with an oldie but goodie a Varmint XL-250. All checked out and sent out from that shop in Texas. Arrived here in nice shape all functional. Got her set up to do a 75 watt dead key and 400 watts peak. Average when I talk 300-350 watts. The Cobra 2000 GTL is driving the amp and sounds real sweet. The tubes checked out at 95% and the relays sound real good. I replaced the original tuning knobs with bigger ones from Radio Shack and got some rubber covers for the toggle switches. Enjoying the fire in the wire, Bulldog.

Kickin' it Old School in Central Maine!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a certain beauty of using old school technology!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On 5/19/2012 early evening Country Girl and I did an on air test of the performance of the Cobra 2000 GTL & Varmint XL-250 AMP. I traveled about 11 miles away from the home location to Robbins Hill here in central Maine. The Cobra 2000 GTL is using an IMAX 2000/GPK antenna. Results as follows: Cobra 2000 GTL barefoot power 2 watts dead key & 14-16 watts peak @ 11 miles I was receiving 2 S units dead key, 3 S units at peak. Varmint XL-250 used 75 watts dead key, 400 watts peak, average talking power 300-350 watts @ 11 miles I was receiving 7 S units dead key, 11 S units at peak. S unit = the term of "pounds" on the meter. The mobile in the truck is a Galaxy DX 959 with a Predator Freedom DX-K Mobile Antenna Fighting Stick. With a bigger signal the voice sounded closer. Unfortunately we were getting bleed over from channel 28, Bulldog.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Awsome video Bulldog !!!!!!!! nice job .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All about having fun and getting it done, thanks.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello , I did a google search and found this topic I joined CB junkies today I am looking for replacement tubes for a Varmint XL-350 Base Linear maybe you can help.

Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bulldog - I bought a box of old CB, Ham radio stuff and going through found a Varmit XL-350 AM. (Paid $10 for the box)
    I have hooked the amp up to my set-up but to be honest, I have no idea how to use it or what all the knobs and switches are supposed to do. (The tubes glow, the squirrel fan runs and I do believe it works.)
    Could you explain what the different knobs and switch do... In layman terms, as I am just getting started and my head hurts from all this stuff I am reading and learning. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bulldog - Have an opportunity to buy one of these, don't know if it works, what would be an appropriate offer for it?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello All: Wow very impressive Bulldog someone doing a long range field strength comparison test. Good going.
    I looked at the cbtricks.com web site, those Varmint amps are biased AB so they will sound very good on AM and SSB. Most sweep tube amps are not biased. It costs more in production to have the bias circuit.

Jay in the great Mojave Desert

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Mojave For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (01-27-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hope the ol' bulldog is doing well

Visitors found this page by searching for

VARMINT XL-250

varmint amplifiers

varmint xl 250

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads481-Varmint-XL-250-Tube-Amp!Varmint XL-400varmint 250 amplifiersilver eagle 350 linear amplifierinformation on varmint xl400varmint linear base amplifier xl 250Varmint Linear XL-250bulldog cb ampscobra 350 xl amplifiervarmint base linear amplifier xl-150 tubesvarmint linear xl 250varmint linear base amplifier xl-250cobra xl 250varmint 250 schematiccobra 350 xl linear amplifiertube linear amplifiersilver eagle 350 linearVarmint xl-350 schematicTube Calculators ampvarmint linear amplifierVarmint 2.5K DX XL-750 linearvarmint xl250