preps
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: coils on mobile antennas

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    booty are you feeling ok? seriously
    by BOOTYMONSTER » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 pm
    how about an option to delete a thread we make ?
    ill admit im at least a part time idiot . sometimes i do double post when editing a post .
    some may find this hard to believe , but ....... sometimes i even get pissed and make a post i regret later . hard to believe huh?? lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i was thinking about asking you the same thing .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by noisemaker View Post
    I can tell you a coil antenna is a hellluva lot more broadbanded than a 102. If anyone cares to argue that, the analyzer is waiting..
    so,without any real technical background i ask this-you say that a coil antenna is a better all around out/in-put tx/rx than a tall whil like i've got on my Wilson 5000? i thought that the taller the whip,the better it would tx/rx? i do like the coil antennas but always thought and believed that the higher you are the better you get in and out,no?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not really , the higher placement of the antenna to a given vehicle is usually best , with regards to amount of available ground plane .
    not nesisary the given length of the stinger
    as in regards to the mfj anyliser " real technical background" can be curcumvented as the mfj does all the work

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by noisemaker View Post
    I can tell you a coil antenna is a hellluva lot more broadbanded than a 102. If anyone cares to argue that, the analyzer is waiting..
    Think your antenna analyzer needs some tweaking....

From the results cbradiomagazine found, the 102" Whip is the most broad banded...I will say i have never done a test like they did using a 102" whip and several different coiled antenna's, but I see no reason to dispute their findings since what they posted on the Predator 10K. is just what I see on mine.

http://cbradiomagazine.com/Feb%20200...0for%20you.htm

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (07-28-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thats funny stuff. My 10k pretty much the same results, but i cant believe a 102 is that flat across the band.

I think im going to challenge that test and perform my own- on 2 different vehicles using the same meter.
    I dont use lmr240, but i do run LMR400 in the little mobile, and 1/2" heliax in the burb. I even have a silverado too- i can test it on that as well so my tests can be as close as theirs.
    Ill test all of the antennas, the bandwidth, the impedance, reactance, etc.
    We'll do a 10k comp, a Terry Built 55R4, and a 102. (dont have a monkey)
    THEN we will do a 102 by itself, then with a spring, and then with an extender tuned for 27.205.

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Think your antenna analyzer needs some tweaking....

From the results cbradiomagazine found, the 102" Whip is the most broad banded...I will say i have never done a test like they did using a 102" whip and several different coiled antenna's, but I see no reason to dispute their findings since what they posted on the Predator 10K. is just what I see on mine.

http://cbradiomagazine.com/Feb%20200...0for%20you.htm

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gravy- the wil5k is a base load. The coil antennas are more or less a center load. Though the theory is "go big or go home" isnt always the best. depends on vehicle, conditions, blah blah.. Elevation is definitely a key player.

Im going to perform a bunch of real tests with a bunch of different antennas, vehicles, and mounts -and see which one shines. Im also going to be adding a mini VNA to my arsenal of tools to see REAL TIME performance side by side (gain, take off angles, patterns, etc). Unlike others that make pretty spread sheets, ill take pics/video right from the source. AND I will make sure the skip isnt rolling when these tests are performed because testing/tuning while the D layer of the ionosphere is hot and opened is not optimal and will yield dud results.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah Gravy View Post
    so,without any real technical background i ask this-you say that a coil antenna is a better all around out/in-put tx/rx than a tall whil like i've got on my Wilson 5000? i thought that the taller the whip,the better it would tx/rx? i do like the coil antennas but always thought and believed that the higher you are the better you get in and out,no?

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    An antenna that is designed for so many fequencies and presents good SWR through that span is labeled: broadbanded, widebanded or ultrabanded. From what I understand in doing so the gain in these designs are a lot lower vs say a narrowbanded antenna just for 26.965-27.405 MHz. True or false? Plus some folks I believe are messing around with their mobile set up just for lower SWR, saying broadbanded but actually detuning, lowering gain but...SWR looks good, huh.

Kickin' it Old School in Central Maine!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    have you done any testing yet noise maker ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Booty Monster, how does somebody come up with a gain factor on an antenna?

Kickin' it Old School in Central Maine!

Visitors found this page by searching for

coil calculator

dominator 1011 meter antenna

rohde-schwarz nrt

high signal mobile antenna coil

dipole antenna cst

http:www.gain-master.ittechnicaldata.php

Terrybuilt 55 antenna

homemade base loaded antennas

antenna and coil calculator

dipole coil placement calculator app